LEM

Anybody who also has a Honda and bought extended warranty?

Sorry to post this here, but you guys are so helpful that I prefer to post it here instead of looking for a Honda forum.

My wife has a 2015 Honda Civic and I was considering buying an extended warranty as I have for my FFH.

Does anybody have any experience with it? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I would not take one. The 1.8L in the civic your wife's have is over ten years old. No direct injection, pretty basic. Therefore, It is a very reliable car. The car has been improved over the years, but still relies on known technologies. No need for an extended warranty.

We usually keep our cars for a long time (~10 years)

We had to put a lot of money in repairs in our last cars (2003 VW Jetta and 2001 VW Cabrio) during their 5-6 years, and I don't want that to happen again.

Since cars nowadays have so many electronics, I'm afraid that I will have to put more money in the long run.

Don't you think I will be paying for small repairs in a few years even if the engine is very reliable?

The reliability of the Civic is well know, much over your previous VW. It's among the best of It's class. What kind of equipment you got in the car: touchscreen, back up cameras, GPS etc. ?

The reliability of the Civic is well know, much over your previous VW. It's among the best of It's class. What kind of equipment you got in the car: touchscreen, back up cameras, GPS etc. ?

Yes, we got the EX-L version but without navigation.

I would wait to see if there's any sign of problems. And, just before your basic warranty expires (3 years 36 000 miles for Honda?), buy your warranty if you don't feel safe about the car.

I would wait to see if there's any sign of problems. And, just before your basic warranty expires (3 years 36 000 miles for Honda?), buy your warranty if you don't feel safe about the car.

Thanks for your help, FernMTL.

You welcome!

That's what I'm doing with my FFH. I got an other year to think about buying one.

I had a 2009 Civic EX-L that I purchased new in 08. I had it for 6 years and had to get rid of it due to improper sealing of the trunk when they had a warranty on the paint coming off. Since whoever took the trunk off to spray paint it never put it back on properly, I had a pool in the back which leaked all the way to the front and I decided it would be best to get rid of it now as it could get worse later on. I was even looking into an Accord but I felt it was just a bigger Civic and wanted to feel like I got a new car than just an "upgrade".

I also purchased the extended warranty and I did not really have to use it. The good thing about it was when I was concerned about something with the car such as a noise or whatnot, they would take a look and I didn't get charged even if they didn't find anything. I am sure after the 3 years, I would have heard a speech on I would be charged to take a look. Not sure if that was just my dealer being nice. Other than that, it was a very solid car that you will probably not need the warranty. I also did not buy the warranty till the 35 month mark.

I like this approach. This is what we'll do with the FFE & what my parents are doing with their C-Max Energi. While you say right now that you plan to keep the car a long time, it might be that when a couple more years go by you have a different opinion.

hybridbear,

The Civic is now almost a year old and it has only 8000 miles. I remember that when I bought the extended warranty for my FFH, it got more expensive after a year of the purchase, and that's why I thought about doing that now. I am not sure if it would be the same with Honda.

If you do purchase the Honda extended warranty, make sure you check out some of the on line dealers who sell the warranty in volume. It is the Honda factory warranty being sold, and there are several that I have seen mentioned on a Honda forum I am following. I have not used any of the ones listed, but am just passing along the information pasted form the Pilot forum. Pasted and copied below

Curry Honda, Hyannis Honda and Saccucci Honda. They don't make much of the warranty but apparently if they sell in volumes, there are financial benefits in doing so. I asked for quotes from all 3 and bought from Saccucci Honda. Hyannis Honda was cheaper but went into my junk mail folder. I was pleased with Saccucci Honda's service and everything went smooth.

I have purchased Ford and GM warranties on line and have saved a lot of money compared to what dealers in my area wanted. I have also saved tax when I have purchased from out of state dealers. Never any problems with the warranty (I have ALWAYS purchased only the factory backed ones, never any after market ones.)

My car was 20 months old when I bought it. After developing two problems (sunglasses holder peeling off headliner, stereo power button started requiring long hard pushes) I decided it was best to pay for the extended warranty ($2000 CAD for me, lasting till August 2019 or 100,000 km net, whichever comes first), to get peace of mind. $2000 to extend by 4 years is $500/year which isn't too much for me.

My parents have Japanese cars, one 6 years old, one 13 years old, and never bothered with extended warranties. These cars are fully loaded with a lot of tech, but had no issues whatsoever. Japanese reliability is second to none. American reliability has improved a lot over the years (definitely beats European), enough for me to buy and love the Fusion, but it's not quite there yet ;)

I suggest you hold off on buying an extended warranty for the Honda unless it starts developing gremlins near the end of the warranty. Heck, you can buy it long after the original warranty expires, if problems do occur!

If you do purchase the Honda extended warranty, make sure you check out some of the on line dealers who sell the warranty in volume. It is the Honda factory warranty being sold, and there are several that I have seen mentioned on a Honda forum I am following. I have not used any of the ones listed, but am just passing along the information pasted form the Pilot forum. Pasted and copied below

Curry Honda, Hyannis Honda and Saccucci Honda. They don't make much of the warranty but apparently if they sell in volumes, there are financial benefits in doing so. I asked for quotes from all 3 and bought from Saccucci Honda. Hyannis Honda was cheaper but went into my junk mail folder. I was pleased with Saccucci Honda's service and everything went smooth.

I have purchased Ford and GM warranties on line and have saved a lot of money compared to what dealers in my area wanted. I have also saved tax when I have purchased from out of state dealers. Never any problems with the warranty (I have ALWAYS purchased only the factory backed ones, never any after market ones.)

Thanks for the information.

Yes, I didn't know about Saccucci and Hyannis, but I had been looking at the Curry Honda. My concern was that it seems you cannot buy it online, you need to call them, which is kind of strange compared to the one I bought for my FFH. I will definitely check the others if I decide to go ahead and buy the extended warranty.

I suggest you hold off on buying an extended warranty for the Honda unless it starts developing gremlins near the end of the warranty. Heck, you can buy it long after the original warranty expires, if problems do occur!

Thanks! I think you are right. I will probably wait a little bit longer if I decide to buy it.

Edited by LEM

I'm not sure about that. Normally, you have to buy the warranty before the BTB expires. At least with Ford, not sure for Honda.