Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

What temp do you set your heater to?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   machoman1337

machoman1337

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE Ice Storm/Lexus LS430
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:16 AM

Autumn has arrived in British Columbia, and in the mornings it gets a little chilly.

I'm a cheap bastard who also hates having the ICE turn on unnecessarily, so I've adapted over time to keep setting my climate to whatever the lowest possible temperature is that also won't result in cold air coming out, while setting the fan speed to the minimum (1x). I'd actually turn off HVAC entirely if it didn't result in a stuffy car and the windshield fogging up (safety hazard). The temperature I set during the autumn and winter averages 17-20 Celsius which is 63 to 68 Fahrenheit. If a passenger complains, I tell him/her to suck it up :P After all, I'm wearing a thick jacket anyway and if the wheel is cold, that is what gloves are for!

I find that this helps me achieve fuel economy that is on par with or even better than what I get during the summer. I've seen others set the temperature to 22+ Celsius inside their cars during the winter which is a horrendous waste of gas, and in a hybrid, would result in the engine growling for the entire trip. 

And of course, if your body is cold the electronic seat heater is far more energy efficient than using HVAC. I haven't touched the driver's side seat heater even once since I bought the car though, as I have survived far colder winters in a car whose driver's side heater had SHORTED OUT (my old Fusion). 

Does anyone else follow a similar mindset (being stingy with heat) during the winter? It's a great way to maintain those 40mpg+ figures. I'm guessing that in extreme cold (i.e. east side USA) my strategy would be less effective, but it would probably still beat abusing the heater.

My precious: 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE Ice Storm - Luxury Package (Dune), Navigation, Tech Package, Active Park Assist, Moonroof (ugh), 18" premium painted luxury wheels. Built in July 2012, bought CPO (former demonstrator) in May 2014. 6.3L/100 km lifetime fuel economy

Current temporary ride: 2003 Lexus LS430 w/navigation and parking sensors. Bought in December 2002, selling when I graduate

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   CCalvinN

CCalvinN

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 119 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FF HyTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:23 AM

Let me first say that I will not sacrifice my comfort while driving for any mpg.

For 90% of my driving time I turn the HVAC into auto mode and let it decide how best to accomplish the temp I want.  In winter while wearing a thick coat and using the heated seats/steering wheel I keep the temp around 63 F and leave it on 'auto'.  That works particularly well after I've used the remote start to pre-heat the car.  I only bought the car in February of this year so I'm not sure how much that affected the mpg.  This is my first hybrid and I was still learning some tweaks to driving that would help with the mpg.  This coming winter season I'll see how my improved driving technique and this 'wasteful' HVAC setting combines for mpg.  I'll feel good if I end up in the mid 30s.  

346645.png

#3 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 702 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:07 AM

Let me first say that I will not sacrifice my comfort while driving for any mpg.

I agree with that part of your post but not the rest. I leave my temp on 72F, period. The gas mileager wil be what it weill be...

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·