higheroctave32

How the heck do reviewers and auto journals get such lousy mpg's?

Reviewers typically get a new car model in the fall when the weather is turning colder and mpg is plunging. They're gear heads and wring them out performance wise. They are not hyper-milers.

And the fact that their test car is likely new with few miles can make a difference too. I think after about 5k miles on my hybrid my MPG went up 5-10% or so.

My pet peeve is about reviewers who complain about the eCVT lack of feeling like an ordinary automatic transmission or "yo-yoing". It indicates they haven't the faintest idea of what's going on inside it. In older times they complained about automatic transmissions and self ( electric ) starters

Ford doesn't help this either, when is the last time you saw a Ford Super News Ticker on this Forum about their advances in these high mileage vehicles? The vast majority of Ford's Advertising effort is in EcoBoost engines, trucks and go-fast vehicles that use lots of fuel, not less.

It is hard to blame Ford for that. Trucks and go-fast vehicles are what the customers are purchasing and that is where Ford makes their money. The high mileage vehicles contribute relatively little to Ford's bottom line and in many cases are big money losers.

This is my second fusion. While I was disappointed in my mileage with my first one, attaining 41.2 out of 47, my 2016 fusion energi plugin barely gets 38mpg. What's going on, and don't say it depends upon my driving? I got that mileage in my 1962 MG.

First, welcome to the FFH forum! You know that Ford downgraded the estimated MPG on the early second gen FFHs from 47 to around 43, right? Give us some more details on the Energi. 38 MPG over what distance? Does that represent a single tank or multiple? Sounds like you're not really taking advantage of the Energi's battery. How long are your trips/commutes? More info will help people make a better assessment.

This is my second fusion. While I was disappointed in my mileage with my first one, attaining 41.2 out of 47, my 2016 fusion energi plugin barely gets 38mpg. What's going on, and don't say it depends upon my driving? I got that mileage in my 1962 MG.

I think in most cases it does "depend on your driving" and while smooth gradual stops that recapture the most energy are important, I think the cruising speeds make a bigger difference, in my opinion anyway. Here is the recap of this past week's trip down to Lynchburg VA and back where 90% of the driving was on rolling winding roads with speed limit of 55 (I had cruise set on 55) then rolling hills with less curves and speed limit of 60 (I had cruise set on 64), and cruise was engaged almost all the time except when going through the little podunk towns here and there. This was also with not using HVAC much since temps were mild. If someone were only getting 38 MPG I'd wonder about the HVAC use (I think that matters a little) and cruising speed (I think that matters a lot).

Energi_MPG_Dec2015_zpspbs2vvyz.jpg