Sign in to follow this  
Wyotesthybrid

Request for City driving tips video for MPG, with commentary

Youtube Video Tutorial:

I'm wondering if one of our more experienced members might be willing to just go out and drive a set route and give driving tips for high mpg during it. I think anyone that makes a 2013-2016 ford fusion hybrid city driving tutorial video will get a TON of hits on youtube. Same goes for highway.

I ask because I just got this hybrid and I’m having a lot of trouble getting the 44+ mpg number in city/town driving. Last night I went driving for the fun of it and created a 1.5 mile loop that I ran 5 times. I tried driving different ways and tested stuff out and got anywhere between 35 and 72 mpg per trip.

I found the following:

(All of these are hypotheses and are simply educated guesses on my part.)

• That driving at a lower speed increases mpg. (duh, lol)
  • Accelerating at about 2 bars(2 KW - empower screen) with the gas engine (ICE) seemed to be more efficient than 2.5 - 3 bars
  • Accelerating quickly (and accelerating quickly often) used a lot more gas than trying to stay in electric mode for certain short sections.
  • Getting up to speed then letting off the accelerator a little in order for the gas engine to turn off and electric mode to turn on was very helpful.
  • Getting 100% brake score is a challenge and requires a lot of patience when it comes to stop signs. (97-99% isn’t too bad though)
  • Using Eco cruise control in town when possible is great as it charges the battery when you go down hills in order to stay at the selected speed. Also it is very smooth.
  • cruise control tip: when cruising with the ice on and you want to switch to electric mode - double tap the set(-) button (lowers your speed by 1mph per hit), then when ice turns off, quickly hit set+(multiple times if needed) to get back to desired speed. Note: if you're about to go up a hill then back down, especially on the highway, you want to have the battery be at a pretty low charge so that it can recharge a lot on the way down. I think this tip may be very useful in that sort of situation.
  • A/C uses a lot of energy and significantly decreases mpg - (is this true? about how much?)

Any corrections/additions I receive for this list, if they are from experienced drivers, will be added or removed.

If this list is accurate, it'd be a great thing for the description of a youtube video.

Again, I think anyone that makes a 2013-2016 ford fusion hybrid city driving tutorial video will get a TON of hits on youtube. Same goes for highway.

Thanks!!

Edited by Wyotesthybrid

Those are some pretty good observations on how the FFH works, good work. :)

Many of the things you found out have been discussed and in an attempt to give new owners a basic overview Hybridbear created a Welcome page that has lots of info and driving tips, like this one. When we first received these 2013 MY FFH's in 2012 the top EV speed was 62 mph, then Ford reprogrammed most of them so the cars went 85 mph in EV, it's debatable if that improved the mpg situation. (I wonder if there are still some early 2013's that have not been reprogrammed?)

The HVAC system is electric and can lower your mpg's quite a bit depending on whether heat or A/C is used and ambient temperature, I have personally seen as much as a 6 mpg loss using A/C.

The earlier Ford Owners website used to have a modest hybrid driving video but I don't see it there now.

Edited by GrySql

The 1.5 mile loop is much too short. The SOC of the HVB will vary too much. What was the average of the five loops? If it was (35+72)/2 = 53.5, that's good.

AC can be a huge hit on mpg in heat soaked cars. Park in the shade, crack windows and moon roofs, use a windshield shade and open all windows for a few blocks before turning on AC.

Edited by lolder

When I bought the car I got worse-than-expected consumption in downtown Toronto and went "WTF Ford? I thought city mileage is supposed to be better!"

I eventually learned that city mileage is only better if your traffic is actually stop-and-go. If it's 95% stop and 5% go, then your battery will drain to the point that every time you move the ICE will turn on at full rpm, and your mileage will be more like 30 mpg which is still good for a car of this size.

The 1.5 mile loop is much too short. The SOC of the HVB will vary too much. What was the average of the five loops? If it was (35+72)/2 = 53.5, that's good.

AC can be a huge hit on mpg in heat soaked cars. Park in the shade, crack windows and moon roofs, use a windshield shade and open all windows for a few blocks before turning on AC.

sorry, not sure, actually. yeah about 50-60 average i think.

thanks Lolder

Bump, anyone want to make a video?

Go ahead and make a video.

You described what most seasoned hybrid drivers have discovered. As your time in the seat increases you learn many of the items you pointed out.

Go ahead and make a video.

You described what most seasoned hybrid drivers have discovered. As your time in the seat increases you learn many of the items you pointed out.

Well. when i get better at it. i may do that. I was hoping that someone more experienced would be up for it.

Well. when i get better at it. i may do that. I was hoping that someone more experienced would be up for it.

This is a worthy idea.

For something like this I think you'd need to:

1. Assemble a script and objectives.

2. Film the driving sequences. This would take a driver and camera operator or special camera equipment.

3. Then a modest amount of cinematic talent for video editing, usually a time consuming task.

(This may not apply if you are a daredevil that can operate a camera of some type, narrate perfectly on the fly and drive at the same time, I can't)

All the material needed for a script is already on this Forum (someplace) and I agree it would be a great adjunct to the written advice found here. Finding a volunteer with the skills, time and equipment will be tough. We'd love to see your production, you've already identified the main components for driving this car properly, a little more research will fill in the gaps. If you want to propose your script, sort of like you did above, I'm sure some here would jump in and help.

:)

It seems to me that a video fitting this request would end up being quite long, since the best gas mileage is achieved on longer drives, say greater than 15-20 miles. Not only that, but there are many different driving situations which can be encountered, which should be included in such a video, such as city driving, congested city driving, low-speed city driving with many stops, highway driving, highway driving with hills, highway driving with mountains, etc., etc., etc.

Getting good gas mileage in any car, hybrid or gas, all boils down to minimizing the energy consumption used to propel the vehicle and decreasing the energy wasted stopping the vehicle. So accelerating gentler, reaching lower top speeds, coasting instead of braking, and if needed very gradual braking (for brake scores of 100% or better) will ensure you get the best MPGs possible. :)

Oh, and the best trick for city driving is if you can time the traffic lights so that you never have to stop, and can cruise for many miles at a constant 30-40 MPH, then your MPGs will go through the roof.

Edited by Hybrider

Oh, and the best trick for city driving is if you can time the traffic lights so that you never have to stop, and can cruise for many miles at a constant 30-40 MPH, then your MPGs will go through the roof.

City driving at around 30 mph with no stops and no AC can yield mpgs over 70 !