Sign in to follow this  
GrySql

Hiccups and no go...

Last Tuesday my wife and I were entering a parking lot with the FFH and slowed down to a crawl, then started to accelerate, the FFH wouldn't go forward normally and sort of stalled. My SOC was low (1/8) with 3/4 tank of gas,

It began a series of surges that were caused by the car not knowing which propulsion source to use. It tried the ICE, surged forward a few feet then nope, back to the Traction motor, etc; this happened about 6 times before I could get it to surge out of the driveway and park. I put the car in park and pushed the pedal to the floor trying to force the ICE to take over, that caused a stutter and again the car tried each source of power - I turned the key off.

Upon a restart it was as if nothing was wrong, it ran normally so I ran a VHR to try and catch any errant DTC's. After that I restarted into the Engineering Test Mode to look for DTC's, none were present.

We finished our business and drove the 20 miles home without any problems, all normal.

What do you make of that event? I've never hear of something like this before.

--

I still have the 4 Recalls that need to be done, especially the PCM Emission one because I can't register my car without the special CARB Emission Certificate the Dealer gives us for CA DMV.

Edited by GrySql

I had something similar happen with my '14 MKZ-h. I had just filled up with gas, and when I tried to drive off, I had the same type of "surge" and stall. (It was about 6:30pm on New Years Eve and sixty miles from home). I got that sick feeling you get when you think you are in for a long difficult night. I shut the car off, restarted it, and haven't had a problem since. Nothing showed up in history and I wrote it off as a one time anomaly.

Both of you should file NHTSA reports here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

This is essentially stalling on the road and is considered by NHTSA to be a safety hazard. Glitches like these should be no longer tolerated.

Did it...

What's your case # so we can find it? I imagine you also wrote a thorough, factual & concise statement for the NHTSA.

What's your case # so we can find it? I imagine you also wrote a thorough, factual & concise statement for the NHTSA.

Not as good as yours :) #10760883

Mine is just anecdotal, basically what I wrote above.

also submitted NHTSA on my Hybrid for similar issues. #10897339

Update 9/10/16: See link below for info regarding my simple fix for stalling/starting problem.

Evap purge control solenoid valve was sticking open causing constant pulling of fuel vapor into intake manifold.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/11235-fusion-stalls-and-loses-power-at-highway-speeds/

Edited by alfonzo27