Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Does rear spoiler decrease mpg fuel economy ford fusion hybrid

MPG spoiler fuel economy ford fusion hybrid 2013 2014 2015

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wyotesthybrid

Wyotesthybrid

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 16 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE (Color: Gray)
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:19 PM

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone knows how the rear spoiler affects fuel economy?

i ask because i watched this video:

2013 Ford Fusion Wind Tunnel Test

specifically at 6:53

it seems like a spoiler may negatively impact the overall aerodynamics.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

-Thanks!

387333.png383622.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 403 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Ruby Red wLight Stone Leather
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:40 PM

As an FFH owner of only 4 months, I'll take a stab at this one.  I have a spoiler as part of the standard equipment.

As I understand it, the EPA ratings on the FFH are 44/41/42 city/highway/combined.  The lifetime MPG after 11800+ miles is 45.6 MPG, most tanks are 42-47 MPG and 2 tanks have been 48.7 MPG.  I don't think the spoiler has hurt a thing since I can outdo the ratings hands down.

Oh and this is with an added 30+ pounds of a donut spare (and jack and handle), then the added weight of a strut tower brace, beefier rear sway bar and hood struts too.  Nope, I still don't see negative impact.

Edited by Cobra348, 31 August 2015 - 11:55 PM.

• GrySql, corncobs and Wyotesthybrid like this

Larry - aka Cobra

Big Red: 2017 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Med Light Stone leather

602A SE Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control w/stop & go

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, auto wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked)

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare

Summer rims/tires - 17" Verde Regency rims with OEM tread

Winter rims/tires - 17" OEM rims with Goodyear UltraGrip WRT Ice

#3 OFFLINE   Griswald

Griswald

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 297 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:57 AM

They call it a "SPOILER" for a reason, it spoils the smooth flow of air.

Not always a bad thing, sometimes that is what you are trying to accomplish.
  • Wyotesthybrid likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:52 AM

Most spoilers actually improve aerodynamics.  However either way you would never be able to run a real world fuel economy test with enough precision to be able to tell the difference.

• hybridbear and GrySql like this

#5 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 941 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:04 PM

Most spoilers actually improve aerodynamics.  However either way you would never be able to run a real world fuel economy test with enough precision to be able to tell the difference.

Assuming that is true (and I believe it is) the spoiler on a FFH is for all practicle purposes only a styling attribute.  It is great that it is an option so everyone can choose based on personal preference.

• GrySql and Wyotesthybrid like this

#6 OFFLINE   billford

billford

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 229 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:None

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:03 PM

I did an online build for a Ford Focus last year, 2014 models. They had a super fuel economy package that included aero hubcaps and a rear spoiler.

So, I'm guessing that the rear spoiler was included to improve fuel economy. 

• Wyotesthybrid likes this

#7 OFFLINE   ElectricFan69

ElectricFan69

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 85 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2016

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:19 PM

I did an online build for a Ford Focus last year, 2014 models. They had a super fuel economy package that included aero hubcaps and a rear spoiler.

So, I'm guessing that the rear spoiler was included to improve fuel economy. 

The feature seems to have disappeared from the '16 configurator.  Either the take rate was too low or the results weren't 'worth the effort'.

#8 OFFLINE   billford

billford

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 229 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:None

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:52 PM

I think 2014 was the last year for SFE package. If I remember right, it was about a 2 mpg increase and included LRR tires, aero hubcaps and spoiler.

Maybe due to the hybrids, that package was outdated.

Edited by billford, 06 December 2015 - 08:53 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:38 PM

The 2015 Focus could be had with the 1.0L, so the SFE package was kind of redundant.

• hybridbear likes this

#10 OFFLINE   ElectricFan69

ElectricFan69

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:40 AM

I think 2014 was the last year for SFE package. If I remember right, it was about a 2 mpg increase and included LRR tires, aero hubcaps and spoiler.

Maybe due to the hybrids, that package was outdated.

Take rate for FE-centered packages is highly correlated to fuel prices.  With fuel prices down, options marketed as only FE-related will have poor take rates.  Particularly when the FE benefit is marginal, and confined to a single drive cycle (highway cruise). 

The FFH is largely marketed as a FE play - but to me, the primary experience benefit is smoothness and responsiveness without the stepped transmission herky-jerky action.  The car is quicker than the 1.5 ecoboost, and won't subject the driver to the annoying 4 cylinder tingle (particularly bad with A/C on and the 2.5) in the drive-through and school pickup.  The relatively low fuel consumption is the whipped cream and cherry on top - the luxury car smooth is the creamy chocolate mousse. 

• hybridbear, GrySql and machoman1337 like this

#11 OFFLINE   Darkside

Darkside

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 85 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:25 AM

Now if we were talking about a Honda Civic I heard a spoiler adds about 20hp :-)

• GrySql and corncobs like this

#12 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:30 PM

The FFH is largely marketed as a FE play - but to me, the primary experience benefit is smoothness and responsiveness without the stepped transmission herky-jerky action.  The car is quicker than the 1.5 ecoboost, and won't subject the driver to the annoying 4 cylinder tingle (particularly bad with A/C on and the 2.5) in the drive-through and school pickup.  The relatively low fuel consumption is the whipped cream and cherry on top - the luxury car smooth is the creamy chocolate mousse. 

Well said! This is what Ford should be advertising about the car! This is what we've been calling for since 2012...

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#13 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 941 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:44 PM

The relatively low fuel consumption is the whipped cream and cherry on top - the luxury car smooth is the creamy chocolate mousse. 

Please stop!  Now I have an overwhelming urge to get my Blue Bunny ice cream, head to the garage and eat it in my FFH.  smileys-ice-cream-266909.gif

• hybridbear likes this

#14 OFFLINE   machoman1337

machoman1337

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE Ice Storm/Lexus LS430
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:27 PM

This isn't a fancy sports car so any effect the spoiler has on performance or fuel economy is negligible.

I'm not a fan of the look and I wish Titaniums would not have it standard. You often have to do a factory order if you want to delete the spoiler. It's better to design the spoiler such that it's easily installed at a dealer rather than at the factory, and then let the customers decide whether or not they want the spoiler at the time of purchase.

And yeah, the luxurious ride that results from the use of a hybrid powertrain is something Ford should be marketing as a reason to get the FFH. Not that the gas models are really less comfortable - I rented a 2.5L SE in Florida and was surprised at the low road noise and smoothness, plus it got 33 mpg on the freeway while hauling 4 adults and their luggage.

My precious: 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE Ice Storm - Luxury Package (Dune), Navigation, Tech Package, Active Park Assist, Moonroof (ugh), 18" premium painted luxury wheels. Built in July 2012, bought CPO (former demonstrator) in May 2014. 6.3L/100 km lifetime fuel economy

Current temporary ride: 2003 Lexus LS430 w/navigation and parking sensors. Bought in December 2002, selling when I graduate

#15 OFFLINE   ElectricFan69

ElectricFan69

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:11 AM

Well said! This is what Ford should be advertising about the car! This is what we've been calling for since 2012...

That's been somewhat the marketing on the MKZ hybrid.  The money hit for a new one was too painful, but that is a seriously classy and smooth package.  C&D had a MMC picture set where they go away from the 'wing grille' to good effect.  If I'd come across a MKZ CPO at the right price, it would have been seriously tempting.  As it was, none were to be found in 5 surrounding SE states; guess folks are hanging on to them, or they resell quickly...

As to the original topic - most aero aids make remarkable impacts only at speeds that are highly illegal in the US.  A spoiler or a rear diffuser can help reduce lift at high speed (>100 MPH), but is not going to make a noticeable difference in the 50-70 MPH range.  As implemented in the FFH and as driven by most folks, it's mostly for show. 

Edited by ElectricFan69, 11 December 2015 - 07:13 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:49 AM

This isn't a fancy sports car so any effect the spoiler has on performance or fuel economy is negligible.

Air doesn't know the difference between a sports car and a family sedan.  You don't need to be going 100mph for aerodynamics to have an effect, things like spoilers, tire deflectors, active grill shutters, chin spoilers, mirror tuning and so on all add up to make a difference in normal driving conditions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MPG, spoiler, fuel economy, ford fusion hybrid, 2013, 2014, 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·