RTimothy

Installing Breakaway switch on FFH

I've been posting about the mechanics of preparing our 2013 FFH se for towing.

So far a Blue OX base plate and wiring (including charge wire) has been installed. I found that the BrakeBuddy Stealth was not able to be installed following BB requirements. I've chosen the portable RVi2 aux brake system. Now, I'm looking for a route through the firewall to install the breakaway switch. In the dark, I put a bright light under the dash and did not see any evidence of light on the engine side of firewall.

Has anyone installed a breakaway switch in their FFH? Please advise.

Standing in front of the car looking at the firewall. To the right of the brake booster, big black tank looking thing, there is a large bundle of wires running through the firewall. That bundle has a large black rubber gasket that seals the hole. We just poked a hole on the side of that gasket toward the edge of the gasket. Worked great!

Gary

Standing in front of the car looking at the firewall. To the right of the brake booster, big black tank looking thing, there is a large bundle of wires running through the firewall. That bundle has a large black rubber gasket that seals the hole. We just poked a hole on the side of that gasket toward the edge of the gasket. Worked great!

Gary

Thanks Gary,

I think I found it. Its a large hole with the bundle going through it and the rubber grommet has a lot of flat space around, right?

I wish the breakaway wire didn't have the plug attached. I makes for the need of a larger hole. I think I;ll cut it off and reconnect it after I pull it through.

Hopefully, I'll run the 12v source wires through the same area.

That's the one.

Gary

Turns out I found the route the techs used to run the wires when installing the base plate.

Hopefully, I can contribute to the group. I was nervous about pushing a metal coat hanger through. I used a really big tywrap. Then put another one in the same place.

Then on the engine side, I made a "sandwich" with the tywraps for bread and the three wires I wanted to get through for the meat. Wrapped it with aluminum duct tape. Not the gray fabric like duct tape but the thin shinny aluminum tape. I was able to pull all three back through the fire wall. Actually there were four conductors because the breakaway had two separate wires inside the shrink wrap. I was really pleased that it worked out so well. Now no need for the jump start unit.

I'll post my next question on the battery thread.

Gary

Good morning.

I'm almost there. I cut the breakaway wire connector off so I could get it through the firewall. Now I'm not sure which conductor is which when I reconnect the wire to the plug. Does it matter? Can I determine it with an ohm meter?