Sign in to follow this  
B25Nut

Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 3.0

The author is a "Gear Head" who thinks there's something wrong with a car that doesn't "shift". I've read his reviews before. I wonder if he has any idea of what's going on in a Toyota/Ford type eCVT? He seems to think it's like a slush-pump Buick Dyna-flow of the 50's and 60's that had only one gear ratio and a huge torque converter. The Hyundai is an extremely complicated and touchy system of instantaneous electric clutches, automatic transmissions and external generator. One of the two 2011 HSHs in extended testing ( http://avt.inl.gov/hev.shtml vin 4932 ) had the inverter fail at 120 kmiles and it was withdrawn from the test because of the $10 K repair cost.

There has been little wrong with Ford hybrid brakes or handling. I wouldn't be surprised if this was sponsored content

I've noticed that in almost all of C&D's reviews. It's a gear head magazine that puts driving performance above just about everything else. It shouldn't be a big surprise that they'd favor a more standard automatic transmission setup over a CVT. I imagine if someone built a hybrid with a manual transmission they'd favor that, no matter what it did to the fuel efficiency. That being said, I find it impressive that Hyundai is getting 39/43 out of it. I found the 36/40 of the previous generation to be under my personal cutoff of fuel efficiency so I never took a long hard look at the HSH. If I were buying my car now, I'd take that long look as a more traditional driving feel might be worth a mpg or two. I imagine I drive more like the C&D testers so I might bet better performance out of the HSH compared to the FFH.

Styling wise, I'm disappointed that Hyundai left the 'Fluidic' look behind. But that being said, the overall style of the Sonata is nice. The only style 'feature' that immediately turns me off is the grille. Not the overall shape (although the Fusion's is much nicer!), but the two splits in it. The top to bottom isn't too offensive, but the mid split for the Hyundai logo and the licence plate (I assume it's for a licence plate) looks just awful. Like it's missing a couple teeth.

2016-Hyundai-Sonata-hybrid-112-876x535.j

Hyundai always throws the kitchen sink at you with technology options, and the HSH doesn't seem to differ in that. I didn't do more than glance at the options list, but it seems that for $2000 less, it's better equipped than my HiTy.

But one problem I've had with all Hyundai's when I took a close look at them is the fit and finish. They're uniquely styled, have lots of options, cost less than equivalent brands, and have a better warranty... but they 'feel' cheap. I had a minor affair with the Veloster when it came out and really wanted one... right up until I finally sat in one. It just felt like a cheap knockoff of a quality car. The dash was hard as a rock, it creaked when touched, the door felt light when opening and closing, and all the materials felt like the lowest quality they could find (plastics, metal, electronics...). And this wasn't some shoddy example I found on a car lot, it was the model sitting out at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

I'd like to have a more 'standard' driving experience, I'd like to have front LED lights and heated rear seats. I'd like to have a 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty, a 5-year/60,000-mile bumper to bumper, and lifetime hybrid battery warranties. I'd like to have the adaptive cruise control for 2 grand less. But as enticing as all of that is, I'm still under the assumption that the Sonata wouldn't feel as well built as a Fusion.

The rectangle below the logo may be a radar antenna. If that is the case that is not the place to mount a license plate.

The fascination with grilles is a relic from the past when a large radiator meant a big engine. It took a monstrous engine to get 200 hp. Today, aerodynamics and front impact safety ( including pedestrians ) should rule. I don't get "Bold" grilles.

Edited by lolder

I was going to ask how they only got 32 MPG with an FFH, but now seeing that this bloke is a gearhead, that answers my question. My brother is a gearhead and still registers over 404 MPG lifetime in '12 FFH daily driver at 33K miles. <shakes head> I'm really getting tired of stupid/ignorant reviewers.

My brother is a gearhead and still registers over 404 MPG lifetime in '12 FFH daily driver at 33K miles.

That's pretty impressive but for sure your brother must have highly modified his FFH in order to reach 404 MPG.

Sorry I couldn't resist ;)

The gloss black area under the Hyundai badge may be where the ACC cameras are placed. The FFH has them in the lower grill and my Subaru has them placed above the rearview mirror.

Just for giggles, I did a quick and dirty Photoshop job of extending the grill.... I think this looks a lot better. Still nowhere near as nice looking as the Fusion, but way better than splitting and separating the front grille:

post-13854-0-78328600-1439643100_thumb.jpg

Just for giggles, I did a quick and dirty Photoshop job of extending the grill.... I think this looks a lot better. Still nowhere near as nice looking as the Fusion, but way better than splitting and separating the front grille:

I didn't even snap that the grill on the HSH above was also divided vertically, basically into two separate sections, one on either side of the Hyundai logo badge, until comparing it against your photoshopped image. My eyes and brain joined the horizontal lines of two sections of that grill into continuous lines going all the way across, at least above the license plate sized plastic piece in the center.

I've noticed that in almost all of C&D's reviews. It's a gear head magazine that puts driving performance above just about everything else. It shouldn't be a big surprise that they'd favor a more standard automatic transmission setup over a CVT. I imagine if someone built a hybrid with a manual transmission they'd favor that, no matter what it did to the fuel efficiency. That being said, I find it impressive that Hyundai is getting 39/43 out of it. I found the 36/40 of the previous generation to be under my personal cutoff of fuel efficiency so I never took a long hard look at the HSH. If I were buying my car now, I'd take that long look as a more traditional driving feel might be worth a mpg or two. I imagine I drive more like the C&D testers so I might bet better performance out of the HSH compared to the FFH.

Styling wise, I'm disappointed that Hyundai left the 'Fluidic' look behind. But that being said, the overall style of the Sonata is nice. The only style 'feature' that immediately turns me off is the grille. Not the overall shape (although the Fusion's is much nicer!), but the two splits in it. The top to bottom isn't too offensive, but the mid split for the Hyundai logo and the licence plate (I assume it's for a licence plate) looks just awful. Like it's missing a couple teeth.

2016-Hyundai-Sonata-hybrid-112-876x535.j

Hyundai always throws the kitchen sink at you with technology options, and the HSH doesn't seem to differ in that. I didn't do more than glance at the options list, but it seems that for $2000 less, it's better equipped than my HiTy.

But one problem I've had with all Hyundai's when I took a close look at them is the fit and finish. They're uniquely styled, have lots of options, cost less than equivalent brands, and have a better warranty... but they 'feel' cheap. I had a minor affair with the Veloster when it came out and really wanted one... right up until I finally sat in one. It just felt like a cheap knockoff of a quality car. The dash was hard as a rock, it creaked when touched, the door felt light when opening and closing, and all the materials felt like the lowest quality they could find (plastics, metal, electronics...). And this wasn't some shoddy example I found on a car lot, it was the model sitting out at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

I'd like to have a more 'standard' driving experience, I'd like to have front LED lights and heated rear seats. I'd like to have a 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty, a 5-year/60,000-mile bumper to bumper, and lifetime hybrid battery warranties. I'd like to have the adaptive cruise control for 2 grand less. But as enticing as all of that is, I'm still under the assumption that the Sonata wouldn't feel as well built as a Fusion.

As others have stated, the spot below the logo is the radar for the ACC and collision warning. A front license bracket would go on the bumper, just under the split grille. I've talked to Sonata fans who are also disappointed by the grille split, particularly as Hyundai gave the Genesis a more normal looking grille, despite the radar hiding behind it. Interior materials are allegedly pretty good, reviewers have tended to give good marks for the interior. As for the "fluidic design", Hyundai is apparently going to do a mid-cycle refresh for 2017 Sonatas (which should include the Hybrid). Last, one of the nice tech options is that Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will be available if you have the head unit with navigation.

It actually sounds as if the plug-in version may be the better of the two -- other than the loss of storage area and fold down rear seats. One of the interesting features on the plug-in will be the ability to charge the plug-in portion of the HVB while driving. Allegedly it takes about 30 minutes of highway driving to fully charge the HVB, meaning on a longer trip you can top off the batteries as you reach your destination, and drive EV only in city traffic.

The base 2016 HSH SE has a different grill from the model above, but it is still not very attractive to me. It is rather difficult to get a clear view of what this grill really looks like online, such as what geometric shape the openings really are.

2016-hyundai-sonata-hybrid-834-p1.jpg

Edited by Hybrider

The base 2016 HSH SE has a different grill from the model above, but it is still not very attractive to me. It is rather difficult to get a clear view of what this grill really looks like online, such as what geometric shape the openings really are.

2016-hyundai-sonata-hybrid-834-p1.jpg

It is worth noting, and this is part of why it looks the way it does, that the 2016 HSH has a 0.24 coefficient of drag -- tied with the Tesla S as the lowest for production cars.

I like how they designed the battery to fit in the space where a spare tire normally goes, which means a good sized trunk.

Ford, you might want to listen up for the Energi.

Alex Dykes (Alex on Autos) has written his detailed review on the Sonata Hybrid and really liked it; the review won't be popular here. While he still prefers the exterior design of the Fusion, finding the look the best of all the mid-sized hybrids, he actually states that people wanting a mid-sized hybrid only need to go to the Hyundai and Honda dealers to see which they prefer. His testing found that the Sonata Hybrid gets better fuel economy than the Fusion Hybrid, he averaged 41.5 mpg. For those interested:

My brother-in-law just bought a 2016 Sonata Hybrid yesterday. We'll see what he thinks of it. He is a big fan of the Sonata. This is his 3rd Sonata now.

My brother-in-law just bought a 2016 Sonata Hybrid yesterday. We'll see what he thinks of it. He is a big fan of the Sonata. This is his 3rd Sonata now.

I'm curious if you have had a chance to see the brother-in-laws Sonata Hybrid and what kind of review do you/he give it?

I'm curious if you have had a chance to see the brother-in-laws Sonata Hybrid and what kind of review do you/he give it?

He lives in Edmonton, so I haven't seen it other than the pics :camera: he has sent us. He says he's getting right about EPA estimates for fuel economy.