Sign in to follow this  
B25Nut

Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 3.0

The author is a "Gear Head" who thinks there's something wrong with a car that doesn't "shift". I've read his reviews before. I wonder if he has any idea of what's going on in a Toyota/Ford type eCVT? He seems to think it's like a slush-pump Buick Dyna-flow of the 50's and 60's that had only one gear ratio and a huge torque converter. The Hyundai is an extremely complicated and touchy system of instantaneous electric clutches, automatic transmissions and external generator. One of the two 2011 HSHs in extended testing ( http://avt.inl.gov/hev.shtml vin 4932 ) had the inverter fail at 120 kmiles and it was withdrawn from the test because of the $10 K repair cost.

There has been little wrong with Ford hybrid brakes or handling. I wouldn't be surprised if this was sponsored content

The fascination with grilles is a relic from the past when a large radiator meant a big engine. It took a monstrous engine to get 200 hp. Today, aerodynamics and front impact safety ( including pedestrians ) should rule. I don't get "Bold" grilles.

Edited by lolder

The gloss black area under the Hyundai badge may be where the ACC cameras are placed. The FFH has them in the lower grill and my Subaru has them placed above the rearview mirror.

Just for giggles, I did a quick and dirty Photoshop job of extending the grill.... I think this looks a lot better. Still nowhere near as nice looking as the Fusion, but way better than splitting and separating the front grille:

I didn't even snap that the grill on the HSH above was also divided vertically, basically into two separate sections, one on either side of the Hyundai logo badge, until comparing it against your photoshopped image. My eyes and brain joined the horizontal lines of two sections of that grill into continuous lines going all the way across, at least above the license plate sized plastic piece in the center.

The base 2016 HSH SE has a different grill from the model above, but it is still not very attractive to me. It is rather difficult to get a clear view of what this grill really looks like online, such as what geometric shape the openings really are.

2016-hyundai-sonata-hybrid-834-p1.jpg

Edited by Hybrider