GrySql

SP-531 vs SP-530 Spark Plugs?

I noticed that the 2103 FFH Owner's Manual calls for SP-531 spark plugs and when I pulled them from my car to take a look @ 13k miles, yes, that was what came from the factory - SP-531. Now, when I go to Rock Auto or Autozone they pull up SP-530 for the 2013. Even Amazon lists both numbers as compatible spark plugs for the 2013. On the OEM Ford Parts website when I enter my VIN, search for spark plugs I also find the number is SP-530.

Looking further, in the 2014-15 Owners Manuals the spec for the spark plugs in these later model cars is the SP-530, unlike the 2013 OM.

Even the Lincoln MKZh calls for the SP-530 now.

I've done a search but cannot find a heat range or compatibility chart for Motorcraft spark plugs.

My question is:

What are the differences between the Motorcraft SP-531 (old number) and the SP-530?

Why the spark plug change in the newer FFH's?

Are they Platinum Plugs? I though they last forever do to the fact that we use the ICE so rarely. LOL I have 105K on mine. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

Are they Platinum Plugs?

That's a question, I need answers... :idea:

Platinum and Iridium...

What if you could get an extra 1.8 mpg's by changing your plugs to the newer number SP-530? ;)

AutoZone says center electrode is Iridium and ground electrode is Platinum. Should last forever given I only use the ICE half the time. :shift: :)

Paul

Iridium and Platinum.

Should last forever given I only use the ICE half the time.

I already mentioned that.

I agree that if the ICE is running in an optimal manner and your driving environment is normal that the spark plugs are very durable, might not last forever though.

For the rest of us the Owners Manual says to replace them at 100k mile intervals.

The original topic question stands at: What is the difference between the two Motorcraft spark plugs, SP-530 vs SP-531?

Edited by GrySql

The SP-531 is 1 higher than the SP-530, so it has to be better...Think "Spinal Tap". :play:

Hahaha :hysterical3:

lol037_zps4synyz3c.gif

---

:future: I can see this is going to be difficult....

GrySql, you are not getting much help here. :) Probably means nobody knows what the difference is.

GrySql, you are not getting much help here. :) Probably means nobody knows what the difference is.

S'ok, it's still a thought provoking question. So much so that, you guessed it, I put SP-530's in my car to find out. :headspin:

My FFH is one of those with 18" wheels/tires and was always a underperformer with mpg's, mainly because my wife (for health reasons) uses the AC 90% of the time - we don't have his/her cars, just this FFH. Only the 2013's had the SP-531's so I reasoned that there must be a beneficial difference and rationalized that I needed them. It runs nice.

Oh no, your flux capacitor is not going to be happy now in The Time Machine... :twister:

Edited by Hybrider

Oh no, your flux capacitor is not going to be happy now in The Time Machine... :twister:

I'm fluxing just fine thank you. ?

Besides, I already asked an expert.

tumblr_n13gd8q3u81svlvsyo7_r1_250_zps7qr

Edited by GrySql

Good question.

Don't know the difference, but not long ago, factory plugs only had platinum on 1 tip, because 1 tip wore more than the other, depending on the polarity of the spark. They used a waste spark system, where 1 coil fired 2 plugs. The spark plugs were used for specific cylinders. They had a paint mark on the tip to identify them.

The replacement plugs had platinum on both tips, so they could be used on any cylinder.

The hybrid does not use a waste spark system, but maybe these plugs fit more than 1 engine, which did have a waste spark system.

Fordpart.com show the 530's cost more than 531, so maybe they are better?

Good question.

The hybrid does not use a waste spark system, but maybe these plugs fit more than 1 engine, which did have a waste spark system.

Fordpart.com show the 530's cost more than 531, so maybe they are better?

Why were the 530's substituted for the early model Ford hybrids 531's? Heat range? I wonder if our Ford Rep could ask Scotty in Engineering about this difference?

So, loving to play jeopardy, we began a small 1500 mile trip thru the CA deserts in 100F weather.

With 4 Recalls not completed, a new set of SP-530 Spark plugs and a new K&N air filter installed we crammed 3 adults, 3 suitcases, a large mound of doodads, coolers, boxes and absolute necessities that totally filled half of the back seat and trunk. Caramba!

Todays 360 miles were at normal traffic speeds (and a bit more) had several pit stops, the A/C was on all the time, the car ran like a champ.

My drive today was a slow climb up to 5,000', the car averaged 38.9 mpg's.

Tomorrow we'll go up and over 9,000' mountains to Lake Tahoe on I-395.

So far, so good. Just got out of the pool at the Creekside in Bishop, CA.

Just doing this as a test for the Forum you know.... LOL!

Oh, yeah, the Conti Eco Plus LRR tires are terrific too.

GrlSql,

Although the 530's are installed, you can usually tell the hotter plug by the length of the ceramic center electrode insulator. The longer, the hotter the plug operates. I'm reasonably sure the difference is the heat range. The lower number is probobly the hotter operating plug. IMHO

Although the 530's are installed, you can usually tell the hotter plug by the length of the ceramic center electrode insulator. The longer, the hotter the plug operates. I'm reasonably sure the difference is the heat range. The lower number is probobly the hotter operating plug. IMHO

Thanks, that might be it, but why the change?

Our Ford Rep is asking her sources, maybe we'll get their answer soon.

So, todays high sierra crossing to our destination netted us 39.3, indicated. Got a couple compliments on our pretty car at the hotels too.

This comment is for lolder.

Going downhill on a fairly long stretch of the high sierra mountains, my mind drifted to one of his comments about the eCVT and no lubrication.

The HVB's SOC was maxed so I did what he told us to do, I goosed the pedal and forced the ICE to run for about 45 sec, lubing the eCVT gears.

This Forum has me doing things that I've never done before. ;0)

Edited by GrySql

Does this help? Information from an older book (2004/05).

SP-530 (AYFS32YR, AYSF32YPC) from Rock Auto site

SP-531 (CYFS12YPC5) from Rock Auto site

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Hopefully it shows up

Jeff

Based on the chart, both SP-530 and SP-531 are in the Cold heat range. SP-531 may be a bit on the colder side of Cold due tot he number 1 versus number 3 as the first number, but they are both in the Cold heat range.

Hope this helps

This comment is for lolder.

Going downhill on a fairly long stretch of the high sierra mountains, my mind drifted to one of his comments about the eCVT and no lubrication.

The HVB's SOC was maxed so I did what he told us to do, I goosed the pedal and forced the ICE to run for about 45 sec, lubing the eCVT gears.

This Forum has me doing things that I've never done before. ;0)

Wouldn't the ICE have been on for engine braking if the HVB SOC was maxed? Regen heats up the TFT more than any other type of driving in my observations. When we went to Cali in January the TFT temp went from 170 F at normal highway driving to 220+ when descending the mountains. And the Energi has the electric TFT pump which keeps the fluid circulating, unlike the FFH.

Wouldn't the ICE have been on for engine braking if the HVB SOC was maxed? Regen heats up the TFT more than any other type of driving in my observations. When we went to Cali in January the TFT temp went from 170 F at normal highway driving to 220+ when descending the mountains. And the Energi has the electric TFT pump which keeps the fluid circulating, unlike the FFH.

We were going pretty slow sightseeing that the ICE started until we got up to speed, then it went into the compression mode (engine braking) as I let off the pedal and set the cruise control.

Well, day 6 of this little jaunt and the car is running great. At our destination we had lots of local pick up and delivery and visit trips.

Unfortunetly, I broke the cardinal rule of testing and made 2 ICE modifications and have new tires so I can't tell which item is helping the performance, but something is.

The last time we did this trip my mpg's were about 37.5, right now the Time Machine is indicating 40.8 mpg's, with maybe a little more weight in the car this time. Today was back up and over the 9,000' Sierra mountains.

The last day of travel is tomorrow and is an elevation drop of 3,500' overall in 100F heat.

There is one thing I can say for sure, the newer ICE air tube w/resonator helped but this K&N air filter has really lessened the Atkinson blowback noise when accelerating.

Used 28.2 gal for 1156 miles = 40.99, my best mountain trip mpg's ever. Car ran great, it now has over 43k miles on it.

this K&N air filter has really lessened the Atkinson blowback noise when accelerating.

Is that an aftermarket air filter? Any drawbacks?