Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Powertrain transitioning question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tellmem3

tellmem3

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 7 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:23 PM

Hi all,

I do apologize if this has been a recent discussed question. I have a 2015 FFH. I am at about 5k miles. On occasions I've noticed somewhat abrupt transitions between the switching from gas to electric. For example, I start off in full electric mode from a stand still with light to moderate pressure on the pedal and you can feel a abrupt transition (almost like a small jump) to full gas mode along with an obvious audible change in engine speed (more like a on / off switch) Other times it's a seamless transition not felt at all... or the Gas / EV are working together in unison providing good balanced power. Is this the designed operation? What have you guys observed? Break in period still?

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by tellmem3, 05 August 2015 - 03:26 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 ONLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 484 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Ruby Red wLight Stone Leather
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:42 PM

I'm at something over 8900 miles and have noticed that as well.  TBH I believe it's normal.  It's not a huge surge (or whatever you want to call it) but noticable.  I can also feel when the ICE cuts out as well.  I thik you get attuned to these things.

Larry - aka Cobra

Big Red: 2017 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Med Light Stone leather

602A SE Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control w/stop & go

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, auto wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked),

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare

Summer rims/tires - 17" Verde Regency rims with OEM tread

Winter rims/tires - 17" OEM rims with Goodyear UltraGrip WRT Ice

#3 OFFLINE   Hybrider

Hybrider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 407 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Awesome FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:17 PM

Sometimes when the ICE turns on and off, the surge reminds me of a shifting type of transmission.

2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE Ingot Silver (Appearance Package)

Ordered: 01/07/2014 | VIN assigned: 01/14/2014 | Window Sticker: 02/05/2014 | Build Date: 02/12/2014 | Arrived at Dealer: 02/25/2014 | Delivered: 02/27/2014

#4 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,815 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:43 PM

In the 2010, you can never feel it except occasionally when coasting down through the max EV speed at about 45 mph. It's very slight then.  In the 2010 it is never noticeable when torque is being produced other than occasionally when driving steadily at the max EV speed when sometimes it can be felt when it hunts between the ICE and EV.

#5 OFFLINE   tellmem3

tellmem3

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:49 PM

Good to know this. Thanks guys.... It's not really a bothersome thing to me and good to know others experience similar things. It runs great otherwise and really like the mpg I'm pulling with this car.

#6 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 981 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:50 PM

To me, the transition from EV mode to ICE is most noticeable at slow speeds (e.g. starting from a stop). Many of the reports/reviews I have read on the FFH indicate that the transition from EV to ICE is relatively smooth compared to many (most) hybrids. My 2015 FFH is my first hybrid and I have no driving experience with other hybrids.

#7 OFFLINE   CCalvinN

CCalvinN

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 119 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FF HyTi

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:22 AM

I also have a 2015 and have just over 13,000 miles on it.  I've experienced the same thing.  It's mainly noticeable at slow speeds.  I've tried to 'feel' the transition when going over 45mph and have never been able to discern it without looking at the dash.  

346645.png

#8 OFFLINE   talmy

talmy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 132 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion SE Hybrid, 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

I also only notice this at low speeds, such as when starting/stopping. Transitions otherwise are smooth. We also have a 2007 Camry Hybrid and it behaves the same way. I'm personally amazed that these transitions are as smooth as they are.

#9 OFFLINE   tellmem3

tellmem3

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

Ahh good to know all of this. This is my first Hybrid so I think it's more like "me" breaking into how the car normally functions...haha. The overall comfort and great mpg by far outweigh the slight jump that is felt on occasions :)

#10 ONLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 484 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ruby Red wLight Stone Leather
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:26 PM

Ahh good to know all of this. This is my first Hybrid so I think it's more like "me" breaking into how the car normally functions...haha. The overall comfort and great mpg by far outweigh the slight jump that is felt on occasions :)

Yup ... my thoughts exactly.  With a bit over 8900 miles since mid-April I have a lifetime MPG of 45.4 right now.  Most tanks are 41-46, but I have had a couple tanks over 48.  These numbers are based on gas receipts at the time of purchase.  For such a heavy car (as compared to a 2600 pound Fiesta), this is awesome mileage.  I can easily top 40 MPG in the Fiesta but it is a lot more work to do so than with the FFH.

Larry - aka Cobra

Big Red: 2017 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Med Light Stone leather

602A SE Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control w/stop & go

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, auto wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked),

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare

Summer rims/tires - 17" Verde Regency rims with OEM tread

Winter rims/tires - 17" OEM rims with Goodyear UltraGrip WRT Ice

#11 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 724 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:30 AM

If there's a noticeable transition with my car, I've failed to notice it. It's always seemed smooth to me. I was a little fixated on the concept early on, but never detected anything other than the growl of the Atkinson, which can sometimes be abrupt.

Edited by md13ffhguy, 08 August 2015 - 01:37 AM.

• hybridbear and corncobs like this

244968.png

#12 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 689 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:06 AM

I can sometimes very slightly feel a transition, but I've alwasy considerd the transition to be great, including the slightly-felt ones.

Edited by mwr, 08 August 2015 - 12:07 AM.

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

#13 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:55 AM

The only time I feel the transition is when the system is under load, like when at idle and HVAC is on.  If the HVB is low and the ICE starts I can easily feel that, but when driving I don't feel much of anything, it's pretty seamless.

• hybridbear likes this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·