Sign in to follow this  
Automate

BMW offers EnLighten app connectivity to predict traffic signals

Good luck with that around here, we have a gazillion magnetic sensing loops in the streets for those lovely surprise stops. :stop:

Edited by GrySql

I like the idea but in a first step (equally effective) would be for drivers to open their eyes and look down the road.

If the traffic light ahead is red it's red and there is no need for keep speeding with 10 MPH over speed limit towards it.

I have numerous videos of drivers doing that getting nowhere. (Except getting passed by me rolling by)

If anything would help it would be automatically limiting/regulating the speed of each car.

But that's just my opinion knowing it would work and ease the pain for any commute.

If anything would help it would be automatically limiting/regulating the speed of each car.

If the traffic lights were sync'd it might help.

I drove thru a town a while back that had signs posted at what the traffic light speeds were sync'd and guess what, most of the traffic was driving that speed and it was a nice sensation. We all moved along nicely, except for the usual one or two that don't get it.

What sucks on city streets where I commute is that even though the speed limit is 45 MPH, most lights are timed closer to 35-40 MPH, and even some are as low as 30 or lower. So in a circumstance like that, you would either have to do 30 MPH to time the lights, or something closer to 55-60 MPH to make the lights. So everyone is doing 45-50 MPH and slamming on the brakes at each light.

It is rather difficult for the traffic engineers to time the lights in both directions on 2-way streets to match the speed limit. It is much, much easier to do on 1-way streets, but those are usually only in the most congested areas of any town where the speed limits usually aren't above 30 mph anyways.

If the traffic lights were sync'd it might help.

I drove thru a town a while back that had signs posted at what the traffic light speeds were sync'd and guess what, most of the traffic was driving that speed and it was a nice sensation. We all moved along nicely, except for the usual one or two that don't get it.

Most of our lights around here are timed pretty well. There is two roads (parallel one ways) that we drive a lot through south Minneapolis that used to have 35 MPH speed limits. Each road was 3 lanes wide. Then the city decided to turn one lane into a bike lane & lower the speed limit to 30 MPH. However, the traffic lights were not re-timed. You have to drive about 38-40 MPH to make all lights. If you drive 30 MPH you will stop at every traffic light (about every 2 blocks).