Automate

Info on transmissions (eCVT) that have failed

These transmissions have been failing since manufacturing began of the 2013 Ford transmissions. It is a manufacturing defect, not wear and tear. Transmissions shouldn't fail before 150,000, 200,000 miles. If Ford does not know which parts are faulty and if indeed a small percentage of them have failed particularly out of warranty it would cost little for them to extend coverage well past 100,000 miles. They haven't ! The 2010-12 FFHs, the 2015+ FFHs are all great cars. The 2013-14 can be lemons because of this problem and the HVAC duct mold problem. We will forever disagree about this and I am not irrational about it. I know of no Aisin transmissions in the pre 2013s that have had this problem. The design is such that they should outlast automatic transmissions several times over. Cab companies tearing down first generation Escape hybrid transmissions ( Aisins ) at 350,000 miles report they look new. This recent failure is proof Ford is waiting out the warranty expiration on this issue ( so far ).

I don't own one but I know all about it and my efforts are to encourage the "squeaky wheel to get the grease". This is a forum for owners, not Ford. What are your efforts?

Edited by lolder

We all love these cars until we have a $5000 repair bill in mid life of the car. 100,000 miles is mid-life now. This is an anecdotal forum without valid statistics so its hard to project rate of problems onto the entire fleet but I still think there are far too many failures. The 2013s also had the case seam oil leaks and the minor drive shaft "clicks". A neighbor has admired my 2010 for some time. He told me about a really cheap deal offer on a low mileage 2013 and I told him about the problems and unless the transmission had been repaired to avoid it. He just got a great deal on a loaded 2017 Titanium.

Lolder, an 8/100,000 warranty on the transmission and hybrid components is a stunning factory warranty. Even more so when you consider that the average length of time a new car is kept in the US is 71.4 months. How long do you feel an auto manufacturer should be on the hook for free repair or replacements? Should it be 150,000 miles, 250,000 miles or maybe make it an even 500,000 miles? And you did not answer my question, is recalling 72,675 FFHs and replacing the transmissions free of charge what you are demanding? If it is, then say so.

I'm kind of slow to figure this out but its becoming clear where all your emotion is coming from. Ford redesigned your beloved Aisin transmission and shipped a defect that is causing a tiny percentage of the 2013 and 2014 models to require a warranty replacement. Because of this Ford must be punished, they must pay a price and as you stated in another one of your "over the top" posts we all need to stop purchasing Ford products.

No, whipping yourself up into this frothy lather over a problem in a car that you don't own is not rational. Ford is honoring the warranty and replacing the transmissions that have a problem. There is no major unresolved issue here. Good grief, get over it.

These posts have reminded me of the pitfalls of being an early adopter of a new model (or redesign). Consumer Reports has consistently recommended waiting a couple of years before buying a new model (https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/consumer-reports-car-reliability-survey-2017/). I was an early adopter of the 2012 Ford Focus and that was a huge mistake. I learned my lesson the hard way and waited two years for the 2015 FFH.

There is no servicing for the transmission. There are no "tune-ups" required anymore. Follow the maintenance schedule in the Owners guide. I'd sell or trade it in before the transmission goes. Despite Texasotas comments these Ford transmissions are unreliable because of bearing failures. The Japanese Aisin transmissions they are based on go hundreds of thousands of miles without problems. Cars shouldn't have engine or transmission problems for 150-200K miles today. The nature of the Aisin/Ford eCVT is it should outlast the car. There's nothing but bearings and gears in it; no torque converters, clutches, solenoids, valves, bands. All the delicate control is provided by software and electronics. Bearing technology is old. Why Ford has the problem is unknown. Lack of lubrication at higher speeds is one suggestion as the non-plug in FFHs lack an additional oil pump present in the plug ins and early in production Ford raised the maximum EV speed of the FFH to 86 mph to match the plug in. The non-plug in FFH transmission oil pump only operates when the ICE is running. The plug-in, all the time.

See post #31 from bill538 here: http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/6172-hybrid-transmission-hf35-fluid-level-check/page-2?do=findComment&comment=108775

Edited by lolder

There's two over 100K here in this forum in the last week or so. Ford probably saved $0.89 per bearing by going to a cheaper supplier.