Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Info on transmissions (eCVT) that have failed

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   nafzimo

nafzimo

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:18 PM

My 2013 Fusion Hybrid, built 10/31/2012, was making this grinding noise, seemingly when the regen braking was active.  It also started a loud whine when coming to a stop.  I drove it that way for about 1000 miles and took it to the dealer with 96,750 miles on the car.  They had it exactly two months while I drove the dealership's loaner.  I got it back today, finally fixed!  They told me parts back ordered but I suspect it was not looked at for the first 4 weeks (they told me at 2.5 weeks that they hadn't gotten it in yet).

The paperwork says:

SEE TSB 16-0105

REMOVE TRANS, DISASSEMBLE TRANS FOUND DAMAGE ON TRANSFER SHAFT BEARINGS.  INSTALL TRANSFER SHAFT KIT AND REINSTALL TRANS.  FLUSH FLUID COOLING SYSTEM.  TOP OFF COOLANT AND TRANS FLUID. SET FRONT TOE.  TEST DRIVE OK AT THIS TIME.

Hoping this was a permanent fix to the issue.  Any idea why they "SET FRONT TOE"?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 727 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:59 AM

My 2013 Fusion Hybrid, built 10/31/2012, was making this grinding noise, seemingly when the regen braking was active.  It also started a loud whine when coming to a stop.  I drove it that way for about 1000 miles and took it to the dealer with 96,750 miles on the car.  They had it exactly two months while I drove the dealership's loaner.  I got it back today, finally fixed!  They told me parts back ordered but I suspect it was not looked at for the first 4 weeks (they told me at 2.5 weeks that they hadn't gotten it in yet).

The paperwork says:

SEE TSB 16-0105

REMOVE TRANS, DISASSEMBLE TRANS FOUND DAMAGE ON TRANSFER SHAFT BEARINGS.  INSTALL TRANSFER SHAFT KIT AND REINSTALL TRANS.  FLUSH FLUID COOLING SYSTEM.  TOP OFF COOLANT AND TRANS FLUID. SET FRONT TOE.  TEST DRIVE OK AT THIS TIME.

Hoping this was a permanent fix to the issue.  Any idea why they "SET FRONT TOE"?

The Front Toe may have been off from removing Trans or off before. Interesting that they are working on Trans now, Mine they just replaced. :)

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#23 OFFLINE   veffremov

veffremov

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:58 AM

Our 2013 FFH 105k miles, built November 2012 - transmission failed with grinding noise. The car showed no check - engine light or other error signals. Car stopped in the middle of the street, unable to move. Turning the car off, then back on again - we were able to drive a block to the dealer. I can hear a loud grinding noise when the gas pedal was depressed. The dealer diagnosis was bad transmission, recommended installing a replacement to the cost of $8000 + tax. After some back and forth offered to lower the price to $5100 + tax.

Ford customer service rep refused any assistance with the repair, stating warranty had expired. I tried arguing that the problem appears to be factory/design issue, but the rep kept repeating "sorry sir, we have no programs that would enable us to assist you in any way".

For the record we has ESP up to 100k miles, expired Dec 2017 - we never made any claims on it. Car was fully maintained at Santa Margarita Ford all records are up to date.

So add one to the list. 

#24 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,835 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:48 AM

I rest my case against Ford, Texasota !

Since your car failed on the road, file a report with NHTSA here: https://www-odi.nhts...hicleComplaint/

Edited by lolder, 08 March 2018 - 10:03 AM.

#25 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 987 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:19 PM

I rest my case against Ford, Texasota !

Since your car failed on the road, file a report with NHTSA here: https://www-odi.nhts...hicleComplaint/

This is indeed bad luck for veffremov. Sorry that you had this happen to your transmission at 5000 miles after the warranty.

According to Wikipedia Ford sold 37,270 FFHs in 2013 and 35,405 FFHs in 2014. For sake of argument lets assume the Wikipedia numbers are "ball park" accurate. That means there are 72,675 FFHs that were sold that possibly have the issue causing the transmission failure. Only Ford knows what the failure rate is on these transmissions but it does not even show up as a blip in Consumer Reports reliability data. It is probably reasonable to assume that the failure rate is a low single digit percentage. Of that small percentage it is probably a tiny fraction of them that have not been repaired under the 8/100,000 hybrid component warranty. Veffremov may be the first one reported on this forum (I don't recall others). From everything I have seen Ford has been very good about replacing these transmission when they fail under the warranty period. I suspect PT and others would agree.

Among your dozens of emotional and repetitious posts regarding this subject you have stated over and over that Ford should issue a recall. I assume your argument is that Ford should recall all of those 72,675 FFHs and replace the transmissions free of charge because a minuscule fraction of them might fail after the 8/100,000 hybrid component warranty. Is that your "case"? Really? If that is your "case", then in my opinion it is an absurdly ridiculous demand/expectation.  No car company or other manufacturer in their right mind would do such a thing. At lease not ones that want to remain financially viable. If it was a safety issue that puts peoples lives at risk such (such as the Takata air bags), then you would clearly have a "case" for a recall. But this is clearly not a safety issue and you are lost out in the weeds.

Ford provided a "good will" warranty extension and reimbursement (for costs previously paid outside of warranty) regarding the Ford Focus transmission problem. Perhaps they might do something like that for the 2013/2014 FFHs but I would be surprised given that Ford's warranty of 100,000 miles is already very impressive. It was a factor in my decision to purchase my 2015 FFH. Cars are getting more reliable but transmission failures still happen. Chrysler has had some very bad history with their minivan transmissions. Veffremov will have to shell out $5100 and that is painful but it appears to be on the low end of the average cost ($4000-$8000 is a typical range for new transmissions).

For some reason this subject has caused a deeply emotional and bordering on irrational reaction in you which is tough understand given that you don't even own one of these cars. You have clearly expressed your opinion regarding this issue dozens and dozens of times. Maybe consider giving it a rest? Or at a minimum consider simply providing a link to any one of your previous posts when you feel the need?

#26 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 727 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

Our 2013 FFH 105k miles, built November 2012 - transmission failed with grinding noise. The car showed no check - engine light or other error signals. Car stopped in the middle of the street, unable to move. Turning the car off, then back on again - we were able to drive a block to the dealer. I can hear a loud grinding noise when the gas pedal was depressed. The dealer diagnosis was bad transmission, recommended installing a replacement to the cost of $8000 + tax. After some back and forth offered to lower the price to $5100 + tax.

Ford customer service rep refused any assistance with the repair, stating warranty had expired. I tried arguing that the problem appears to be factory/design issue, but the rep kept repeating "sorry sir, we have no programs that would enable us to assist you in any way".

For the record we has ESP up to 100k miles, expired Dec 2017 - we never made any claims on it. Car was fully maintained at Santa Margarita Ford all records are up to date.

So add one to the list.

This is the first case that I have heard of a trans problem where the car actually stopped on all three forums I visit. I know I drove on the fwy for 1100 miles after the trans started making noise, car was running fine, but noise was getting louder.  I would say your case is very rare and it is too bad you did extend your warranty like I did, as it turned out I didn't need too because it failed at 98k miles. I knew mine was going to fail because I was monitoring TFT and was seeing a gradual rise in temps for the prior 2-3 months. Sorry to hear about your problems and would recommend you find a Dealer that has replaced several so they don't have to learn on yours. ;(  I have heard that some of the transmissions have had minor repair work done, but don't know anything about it.  Good Luck

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#27 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:10 AM

These transmissions have been failing since manufacturing began of the 2013 Ford transmissions. It is a manufacturing defect, not wear and tear. Transmissions shouldn't fail before 150,000, 200,000 miles. If Ford does not know which parts are faulty and if indeed a small percentage of them have failed particularly out of warranty it would cost little for them to extend coverage well past 100,000 miles. They haven't ! The 2010-12 FFHs, the 2015+ FFHs are all great cars. The 2013-14 can be lemons because of this problem and the HVAC duct mold problem. We will forever disagree about this and I am not irrational about it. I know of no Aisin transmissions in the pre 2013s that have had this problem. The design is such that they should outlast automatic transmissions several times over. Cab companies tearing down first generation Escape hybrid transmissions ( Aisins ) at 350,000 miles report they look new. This recent failure is proof Ford is waiting out the warranty expiration on this issue ( so far ). 

I don't own one but I know all about it and my efforts are to encourage the "squeaky wheel to get the grease".  This is a forum for owners, not Ford. What are your efforts?

Edited by lolder, 09 March 2018 - 12:16 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 727 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:35 AM

Here is a Link to trans failures on CMAX Hybrid site for all FFH, CMAX Hybrid and Energi's.   http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/5288-mileage-and-build-date-for-ecvt-that-have-failed/page-1 as you can see only 23 documented failures total and it would appear the first failures where in 2014. If owners want longer coverage they can buy it like I did. I think 8yr/100k mi. is very reasonable.  I have 187k miles on my 2013 CMAX Hybrid and any problems I have had were covered under the warranty. There have only been a few people that have had trans problems past 100k miles and almost all CMAX Owners love their cars and I think the same can be said for FFH Owners. I don't see a real problem here IMO. :)

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

#29 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:01 AM

We all love these cars until we have a $5000 repair bill in mid life of the car. 100,000 miles is mid-life now. This is an anecdotal forum without valid statistics so its hard to project rate of problems onto the entire fleet but I still think there are far too many failures. The 2013s also had the case seam oil leaks and the minor drive shaft "clicks". A neighbor has admired my 2010 for some time. He told me about a really cheap deal offer on a low mileage 2013 and I told him about the problems and unless the transmission had been repaired to avoid it. He just got a great deal on a loaded 2017 Titanium.

#30 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 987 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:47 PM

Lolder, an 8/100,000 warranty on the transmission and hybrid components is a stunning factory warranty. Even more so when you consider that the average length of time a new car is kept in the US is 71.4 months. How long do you feel an auto manufacturer should be on the hook for free repair or replacements? Should it be 150,000 miles, 250,000 miles or maybe make it an even 500,000 miles? And you did not answer my question, is recalling 72,675 FFHs and replacing the transmissions free of charge what you are demanding? If it is, then say so.

I'm kind of slow to figure this out but its becoming clear where all your emotion is coming from. Ford redesigned your beloved Aisin transmission and shipped a defect that is causing a tiny percentage of the 2013 and 2014 models to require a warranty replacement. Because of this Ford must be punished, they must pay a price and as you stated in another one of your "over the top" posts we all need to stop purchasing Ford products.

No, whipping yourself up into this frothy lather over a problem in a car that you don't own is not rational. Ford is honoring the warranty and replacing the transmissions that have a problem. There is no major unresolved issue here. Good grief, get over it.

These posts have reminded me of the pitfalls of being an early adopter of a new model (or redesign). Consumer Reports has consistently recommended waiting a couple of years before buying a new model (https://www.consumer...ty-survey-2017/). I was an early adopter of the 2012 Ford Focus and that was a huge mistake. I learned my lesson the hard way and waited two years for the 2015 FFH.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·