Automate

Info on transmissions (eCVT) that have failed

It's clear Ford really fouled up in trying to "improve" the Japanese built Aisin transmissions of the 2004-2012 hybrids. They have had very few problems particularly the 2010-12 Fusions. These Ford built transmissions should have lasted the life of the cars. There is little to wear in them. Clearly the engineering or assembly is faulty. Too bad.

If you look at the Aisin and Ford Transmissions, they look very similar in architecture, so much so that it's unlikely different bearings were used. Bearings are ho-hum parts. How can you screw that up so badly? It appears that Ford is not going to stand behind those that fail out of warranty. Disgraceful!

Well that's good to hear. I wonder if they will volunteer that extension to owners or will they have to dig for it?

I rest my case against Ford, Texasota !

Since your car failed on the road, file a report with NHTSA here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

This is indeed bad luck for veffremov. Sorry that you had this happen to your transmission at 5000 miles after the warranty.

According to Wikipedia Ford sold 37,270 FFHs in 2013 and 35,405 FFHs in 2014. For sake of argument lets assume the Wikipedia numbers are "ball park" accurate. That means there are 72,675 FFHs that were sold that possibly have the issue causing the transmission failure. Only Ford knows what the failure rate is on these transmissions but it does not even show up as a blip in Consumer Reports reliability data. It is probably reasonable to assume that the failure rate is a low single digit percentage. Of that small percentage it is probably a tiny fraction of them that have not been repaired under the 8/100,000 hybrid component warranty. Veffremov may be the first one reported on this forum (I don't recall others). From everything I have seen Ford has been very good about replacing these transmission when they fail under the warranty period. I suspect PT and others would agree.

Among your dozens of emotional and repetitious posts regarding this subject you have stated over and over that Ford should issue a recall. I assume your argument is that Ford should recall all of those 72,675 FFHs and replace the transmissions free of charge because a minuscule fraction of them might fail after the 8/100,000 hybrid component warranty. Is that your "case"? Really? If that is your "case", then in my opinion it is an absurdly ridiculous demand/expectation. No car company or other manufacturer in their right mind would do such a thing. At lease not ones that want to remain financially viable. If it was a safety issue that puts peoples lives at risk such (such as the Takata air bags), then you would clearly have a "case" for a recall. But this is clearly not a safety issue and you are lost out in the weeds.

Ford provided a "good will" warranty extension and reimbursement (for costs previously paid outside of warranty) regarding the Ford Focus transmission problem. Perhaps they might do something like that for the 2013/2014 FFHs but I would be surprised given that Ford's warranty of 100,000 miles is already very impressive. It was a factor in my decision to purchase my 2015 FFH. Cars are getting more reliable but transmission failures still happen. Chrysler has had some very bad history with their minivan transmissions. Veffremov will have to shell out $5100 and that is painful but it appears to be on the low end of the average cost ($4000-$8000 is a typical range for new transmissions).

For some reason this subject has caused a deeply emotional and bordering on irrational reaction in you which is tough understand given that you don't even own one of these cars. You have clearly expressed your opinion regarding this issue dozens and dozens of times. Maybe consider giving it a rest? Or at a minimum consider simply providing a link to any one of your previous posts when you feel the need?