Tgederberg

12v battery dead after two weeks (twice)

Is this normal, I don't think so. When it happened back in December, the dealer checked out the battery and said everything was OK but that since it is a smaller battery they are not designed to be left for long (I don't call 2 weeks long).

My 12 volt battery went out a week after the dealer said it was fine. But I had 6 years and 112,000 miles on it. I had my Wife try to start it while I had an inexpensive digital volt meter across the battery, and the voltage dropped to 7 volts while she was hitting start with the key, so I knew the battery was inadequate. I charged it, it started easily, and made it to the dealer, no problem. It read 13.5 volts in engineering test mode, all the way to the dealer. I had the dealer put in a new one for ~$129 including the battery, which I think was $113. But mine is the older NiMhd battery system, probably different from yours.

I have a 2013 Fusion Hybrid with about 28k miles. About once a month my battery is dead so I jump it and it starts right up and is fine for several weeks and then it will happen again. I took it to the dealer and they said I could probably use a new battery. I didn't replace it and all was well for several weeks again. It happened again so I pulled it and took it to O'Reilly's auto parts to have it load tested and charged. They said it was fine and all was good for several weeks again. This morning, dead again. Is it likely the battery or maybe the alternator since it tested OK?

I'd hate to buy a new battery and discover the battery was not the culprit. Any advice is appreciated.

I have a 2013 Fusion Hybrid with about 28k miles. About once a month my battery is dead so I jump it and it starts right up and is fine for several weeks and then it will happen again. I took it to the dealer and they said I could probably use a new battery. I didn't replace it and all was well for several weeks again. It happened again so I pulled it and took it to O'Reilly's auto parts to have it load tested and charged. They said it was fine and all was good for several weeks again. This morning, dead again. Is it likely the battery or maybe the alternator since it tested OK?

I'd hate to buy a new battery and discover the battery was not the culprit. Any advice is appreciated.

Hi Gregavi,

I recommend heading back to your dealer for a diagnostic on your battery and related systems. Once you have an appointment set up, please send me a message with your VIN, updated mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

Just as another datapoint, I was just on business travel for a full 3 weeks, and my wife agreed to drive my FFH for a few miles at least once a week. Needless to say, with me being gone, she had more than her share of household chores to do, so she never got around to driving my car at all.

After having not started my FFH for a full 3 weeks, it started right up, and has had no BSMs, nor any other wonkiness which a dying battery can cause. My FFH has also gone through 2 full summers of extreme desert heat, whereas batteries in gas cars around here usually only last up to 3 years tops due to the excessive heat, and sometimes the regular 12V batteries only last 2 years around here.

I attribute my good luck so far with my 12V battery to the fact that I special-ordered my car, so the battery didn't have a chance to sit on a sales lot and go dead.

Started getting the same message last week. Yesterday car wouldn't start. Jumped it 3 times. Found this forum. Just returned from my dealership and new battery was cover under warranty as the old battery tested out with a bad cell.

Thank you to everyone who used this forum as a sounding board and the Ford reps here. I can't help but think what has been discussed here over the years played no small part in how my situation was handled today. Again Thank you all

Happy to hear your battery was taken care of, oldhousedr! I'm around if you need anything.

Meagan