wmmallette

ethanol free gas

Even if burning premium does give a 1-2 MPG gain (~3.5% MPG improvement in a FFH) that is overshadowed by the ~13% premium you pay for premium gas. This makes no economic sense. But, I understand that for some it is not about dollars and cents, instead it is all about the competition and personal challenge of maximizing miles per tank. The economics are irrelevant.

Edited by Texasota

Here is Consumer Reports take on regular vs premium:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/08/debunking-fuel-economy-myths/index.htm

Their main point is this:

Premium gas has a higher octane rating, usually 91 or above, making it more resistant to pre­ignition, a condition in which fuel burns uncontrollably in the engine. Higher-performing engines are the most susceptible to preignition because they tend to run hotter, which is why premium is often recommended or required for sports and luxury vehicles.

Premium also helps maximize power in high-performance engines. With those engines, if you don't use premium, you might not get full power when, say, accelerating or climbing hills. Most drivers will probably never notice the difference.

The vast majority of cars are designed to run fine on regular. And premium won’t improve performance or fuel economy for those cars, but it will cost you about 20 cents more per gallon.

I like going 30-40mi. farther a tank, that's worth it to me

If it is worth it to you, then that is fine and there is nothing wrong with your choice. Most drivers will likely choose regular over premium because it results in greater miles per dollar. Greater miles per dollar was my primary motivation for purchasing a hybrid.

I quit using premium in my Harley. Dont see any difference at all...I started when premium got over $4 and have not used it since that. I also quit using "tier 1" gas and now fill up anywhere. Guess I have been lucky!

I have no evidence to support this and it is pure speculation on my part. But I suspect "tier 1" is nothing more than marketing gimmicks. The gas for all of your local gas stations is most likely coming from the same refinery.

Edited by Texasota

Interesting. I wonder if those detergent additives are added at the refinery or if they are added by the "tier 1" gasoline station after the gas is delivered.

I found out about the Top Tier gasolines from owning GM cars, since GM strongly recommends using Top Tier gas in their Owner's Manuals.

I have since always tried to use the Top Tier gases when possible since it makes great sense to me to use gas with detergent in it, just like the Techron gas always advertised, especially in today's cars which all have the tiny fuel injectors that seem to get gummed up quite easily.

Where I live, several of the lower-priced gases now have the Top Tier certification, so it is a no-brainer for me.

And for a while Gas Buddy was showing which gas stations in my town were Top Tier, so that made it really easy to know which ones had the stamp of approval.

Interesting. I wonder if those detergent additives are added at the refinery or if they are added by the "tier 1" gasoline station after the gas is delivered.

I would highly doubt the detergent is added at the station.

Ethanol has only 2/3 the energy of gasoline per gallon but has a high octane rating. If you supercharge or turbocharge an engine, you can put more ethanol in and get the same hp per cubic inch.

The new Race Trac stations in SW Florida appear to have ethanol free regular at every pump.

The new Race Trac stations in SW Florida appear to have ethanol free regular at every pump.

Every October I fill my boat’s fuel tank full with ethanol free gas for winter storage. Last night I performed this ritual and the price of this "non-oxygenated" (91 octane) gas was $3.59. Regular (E10) gas at this same station was $2.32. That is a 54.7% premium for this premium gas! It was a painful reminder of what we were paying for regular gas not very long ago.