mwr

Inconsistent difference between displayed and actual mpg

Measuring mpg by gallons filled to pump shutoff is not very accurate for one fill up. The car's computations are more precise. The error in mpg in the computer displays is constant. It is about 4% high. The odometer is about 2% low, however. The net error is about 2% high or about 1 mpg. There's no need to always compute the mpg with the gallons filled.

My experience has been that the car's displayed mpg is about 1.7 to 2.5 mpg higher than the actual calculated mpg. My current lifetime display is 48.1 while the actual is 45.9 after nearly 45,000 miles.

That has also been my experience. I have tracked the MPG for ~12,000 miles and the trip computer has over reported it by 2.25 MPG compared to actual. But it has varied a lot from tank to tank with 8.06 MPG the worst over reporting and -3.26 the worst under reporting. The trip computer has more variance in this car than any car I have owned. So far, this is the only thing I have found to complain about with this car but it is a very minor annoyance in the overall scheme of things.

The trip computer may vary a lot because of all the things that affect mileage; temperature, wind, beginning and ending state of charge, etc. The various car computed mpgs get their data from the fuel delivery system and that is very precise.

The trip computer may vary a lot because of all the things that affect mileage; temperature, wind, beginning and ending state of charge, etc. The various car computed mpgs get their data from the fuel delivery system and that is very precise.

When I used the term trip computer I meant the MPG as reported by the Trip1 display. I always reset Trip1 each time I refuel and the MPG reported by the Trip1 display is what I compare to the value computed in my spread sheet (miles traveled from Trip1 divided by gallons to fill the tank).

I would say that the variation is not the trip computer, but rather the variation is from the gas pump. Like lolder said, the computer's margin of error is constant and does not vary from tank to tank.

I agree 100%. But as I indicated earlier, this varies more from tank to tank than any car I have owned. I have grown accustomed to this variability and it is not a big deal but it is interesting that it varies so much with my FFH.

Perhaps the variation is not because of the FFH, but rather due to other factors. For example, if the variation is 1 gallon on a 10 gallon fill that is a 10% discrepancy. But if the variation is 1 gallon on a 20 gallon fill then that is a 5% discrepancy.

This makes sense and could be a big part of it.

Interestingly, it is my tanks where I have an unusually high MPG (as reported by the trip computer) that the inflation seems to be the worse. For example, last winter in Florida the trip computer reported 56.00 MPG for the tank but that was inflated by 8.06 MPG and in another tank the trip computer reported 56.4 MPG but that was inflated by 6.01 MPG. Maybe this fits in with your above hypothesis?

Do you use remote start? Any fuel used by remote start is not counted by the trip computer.

I just looked at my numbers recorded in Fuelly, and saw that from January through March (when I used remote start on a semi-regular basis), my discrepancy between dash and reality averaged about 9% over 11 fill-ups, In the 12 fill-ups since then, the discrepancy is only 3%.

I have a suggestion. I'll even give it a try the next few fill ups. So we are saying the pumps are off causing this? Here is my suggestion. What if you put in the gallons it is reporting used and try to get it as close as possible and follow that pattern for awhile? Comments?

Beginning with the 2015s there is no longer any data reported on gallons used. Those metrics have been removed from all of the information displays. That was probably done (speculation on my part) because of inconsistencies that we have been discussing and complaints from owners.

So we are saying the pumps are off causing this?

I don't think anyone is suggesting wild variability in pump readings, although you never know... The variation at the pump is our inability to know if we've filled the tank to the same exact level/capacity each time. For example, not all pumps are on a level grade, at least not where I live. Sloped one way, the car may be able to hold more fuel than another. Think of a bucket of water that's half full. Now, set that bucket down on a hill. Also, there's the variability that's caused by the calibration of the auto-shutoff feature from one pump to another...