BiXLL

Intimidated!!!!

Congrats! Yes, these extremely high-tech FFHs can make you feel a bit overwhelmed at first. But it doesn't take very long before you get used to it all, and almost start to see it as you did any of your other cars.

Except for the fact it is not like any other car...it is the awesome FFH!!! :shift:

Sit in the car as you read the owner's manual. Read it a couple of times. It takes time to absorb all of it.

Like Texasota said, read the manuals, push all the buttons while parked. Then, put the HVAC on automatic, select "D" and drive it like a normal car. You're going to have fun with it for a long time.

Just don't get distracted watching the "video game" of the instrument panel. This is all actually old technology brought together. Electric propulsion has been around over 100 years. Planetary gear transmissions have been around that long. A solid state motor control device was developed about 1984 to control industrial motors in factories and trains called an Insulated-Gate Bipolar Transistor ( IGBT ) that makes it easy to convert HV AC to DC and vice-versa. Hybrid design started soon after but Toyota put it all together in a commercial product in the '90's with the first Prius that went on sale in Japan in 1997. Sophisticated software that Ford is also a leader in has made the hybrids silky smooth vehicles. There's not much for a new hybrid driver to learn; accelerate modestly, brake early and lightly, look ahead to traffic lights and intersections and coast up to them as the other road bullies will permit. Drive the speed limit in the right lane if it's not unsafe. At stop lights, look at the dozens of other cars around you and realize most of their engines are still running. As time permits, hone your driving habits to be less aggressive. You can probably even cut back on some high blood pressure meds.

This forum is great for learning about the FFH and there are many very knowledgable and helpful members here. But it is also easy to obsess about driving the FFH for maximum MPG. Some of the posts and threads go overboard in this regard (in my opinion).

There is nothing wrong with driving it like you would any other car. There is no requirement to drive it in a manner that is different than your previous driving experiences. If you spend time on this forum you will be able to absorb lots of helpful information.

But over the first few days/weeks I slowly learned how I wanted each of my dashboard screens set (Myview with empower on the left, fuel economy over 30 minutes on the right)

CCalvinN, you probably are aware of this but beginning with the 2015 FFH you can configure the right side information display to display your fuel history. I configured mine that way. I then configured the tach and engine temp in the MyView but I recently switched the tack to be the "Accessory Power" (Indicates electrical power demands from your vehicle’s accessory systems).

Edited by Texasota