Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

What kind of AC is in the 2014 Hybrid

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   larrylwill

larrylwill

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 150 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Fiesta
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:48 AM

I have a 2014 Fusion Hybrid. The other day I was sitting at Sonic around 6 pm the outside temp was in the high 80s. I never turned off the ignition and the AC kept running even though the engine was off. I noticed it would run for about 15 min before the engine started and ran for about 5 min then it shut off again, all the while the AC kept the car cool. The  battery gauge was about 1/2 and when it got to about 1/4 the engine would start.

So whats powering the compressor? Is it a dc motor? It cant be the engine because it wasn't ruining most of the time.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,514 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:13 AM

It's powered by the high voltage battery.  The engine came on to recharge the battery.

#3 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:03 AM

The AC has a variable speed electric compressor. The FFH has no belts for any accessories. Everything is electric.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#4 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 516 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Ruby Red wLight Stone Leather
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:39 AM

I have a 2014 Fusion Hybrid. The other day I was sitting at Sonic around 6 pm the outside temp was in the high 80s. I never turned off the ignition and the AC kept running even though the engine was off. I noticed it would run for about 15 min before the engine started and ran for about 5 min then it shut off again, all the while the AC kept the car cool. The  battery gauge was about 1/2 and when it got to about 1/4 the engine would start.

So whats powering the compressor? Is it a dc motor? It cant be the engine because it wasn't ruining most of the time.

Suggestion ... if you haven't done so - and are wanting to understand more about your car - might I suggest looking through this thread?  It's got a lot of the answers for "how does this work?" type questions along with technical stuff.  I've done a pick and choose on the materials and it's helped a lot!

• hybridbear likes this

Larry - aka Cobra

Big Red: 2017 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Med Light Stone leather

602A SE Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control w/stop & go

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, auto wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked),

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare

Summer rims/tires - 17" Verde Regency rims with OEM tread

Winter rims/tires - 17" OEM rims with Goodyear UltraGrip WRT Ice

#5 OFFLINE   larrylwill

larrylwill

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 150 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Fiesta
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:59 AM

Thanks for the answers, thanks for the link, I never knew they made a variable speed compressor with motor. I assume its DC. I wonder how much current it uses?

#6 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 702 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:24 PM

My 2015 operates the same way. About a week ago I had a 30 minute phone call in a parking lot and it was too noisy with he windows open, so I closed the windows and left the engine on using AC; the ICE cycled on and off just like you described.

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

#7 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,833 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:34 PM

It's provided with high voltage dc from the HVB but it has an integral variable frequency inverter that converts it to AC. It can draw several kilowatts. A three kilowatt draw at 280 V would be about 10 amps. The HVB is capable of about 230 amps discharge rate for 10 seconds.

• hybridbear, GrySql and Hybrider like this

#8 OFFLINE   Frank F

Frank F

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 59 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:51 AM

So the AC compressor has no clutch?  Since it's variable speed, it wouldn't need one would it?  Because with clutches they are only engaged or disengaged, and when engaged spinning the compressor at a speed proportional to engine speed.

So we won't hear the distinctive clutch engaging / disengaging click.

Since the engine isn't needed to power the compressor, is it still mounted in the "front belt plane"?  It wouldn't need to be - no belt turning the compressor.  Although for historical reasons I could see it still mounted there, but most certainly doesn't need to be.

#9 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

So the AC compressor has no clutch?  Since it's variable speed, it wouldn't need one would it?  Because with clutches they are only engaged or disengaged, and when engaged spinning the compressor at a speed proportional to engine speed.

So we won't hear the distinctive clutch engaging / disengaging click.

Since the engine isn't needed to power the compressor, is it still mounted in the "front belt plane"?  It wouldn't need to be - no belt turning the compressor.  Although for historical reasons I could see it still mounted there, but most certainly doesn't need to be.

Well the definition of a clutch is something that connects two moving parts.  But the compressor is not connected to another moving part, so obviously no clutch.  As an aside though, most of Ford's newer vehicles use a variable speed compressor now, but they do still have a clutch since that variable speed can never be zero. So you won't hear that distinctive clutch click on any Fusion unless you turn the system on or off.

True that you could mount the compressor anywhere, but for NVH reasons you'd want it attached to the powertrain so the engine mounts could be used to filter out any vibrations.  Plus the hybrid's engine block is still shared with other non-hybrid vehicles, so the mounting system is already there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·