wmmallette

New or used FFH?

Am at a decision point:

I have an offer for a new 2015 FFH SE model with 502A luxury package, MyFord Touch and Navigation. (I don't care anything about the Nav.) for $27000 out the door taxes, tag and title fees included.

I also have an offer for a 2013 FFH, SE with same general options but no Nav wi 38,000 miles for $19,000 out the door also. So a $8000 difference.

Any thought s as to which is the best deal? I know the 2013 had several recall and PCM updates. Would that deter anyone?

-Mickey

Not if I was buying it. My Fusion has a life time MPG of 53.4 and has been well taken care of. Look at the Oasis report on the 13 and check the lifetime mpg That will give you an idea of it's history.8,000 is a big chuck of money

How do I look at the Oasis report? I do not know what that is.

What is the VIN of the prospective 2013?

3FA6P0LU0DR198336

Window sticker below (was retail order by someone in Oxford, MS) - built in December 2012, 3 days after mine was -- some reported issues with their Job 1 FFH but mine was great and exceeded the 47 MPG (but not as good as Sleddog's above)...

post-4168-0-19049900-1434226968_thumb.jpg

Maybe someone has access to Oasis data on this?

Edited by jeff_h

What info can I get from th sticker on the new one? Would it tell me the invoice date?

What info can I get from th sticker on the new one? Would it tell me the invoice date?

What is the VIN of the new one? The invoice date is not listed on it (there is a date at the bottom which I think is the date sent to plant and normally a week prior to build but not always), but I think that only matters if there was a price change during the model year. Others may know more about that part of the process.

The build date was March 12, 2015

And here's the sticker -- either one would be a good deal, depends if you want Ruby Red or Platinum White...

post-4168-0-44961100-1434228371_thumb.jpg

Am at a decision point:

I have an offer for a new 2015 FFH SE model with 502A luxury package, MyFord Touch and Navigation. (I don't care anything about the Nav.) for $27000 out the door taxes, tag and title fees included.

I also have an offer for a 2013 FFH, SE with same general options but no Nav wi 38,000 miles for $19,000 out the door also. So a $8000 difference.

Any thought s as to which is the best deal? I know the 2013 had several recall and PCM updates. Would that deter anyone?

-Mickey

The 2013 has the Lifetime Summary screen and will report gallons of fuel used. The 2015 has user configureable DRLs, the ability to show fuel economy data on the right dash screen and no reporting of gallons used or a Lifetime Summary. Those changes in features from year to year would have the biggest impact on my decision. $8000 is a lot of money to save by going with the used one if you're comfortable with its condition. It is beyond the bumper-to-bumper warranty...

I'd be really interested to see what the Lifetime Summary shows on the 2013. If you have a chance to drive it/look at it again I'd take a pic of that to post. Seeing that data can tell you a lot (if it hasn't been recently erased).

3FA6P0LU9FR289219

This one's OASIS report says all Recalls and Updates are completed. 'NO CAMPAIGN MESSAGE(S) FOUND'

3FA6P0LU0DR198336

This one still needs the 3 latest Recalls (14S21, 15S16, 15E03) to be done plus the APIM warranty extension is there. Typical report for a 2013.

BTW, a Ford Dealer cannot sell this car unless these are taken care of, a private party doesn't have to do anything.

Edited by GrySql

The other difference besides just flat purchase price (and warranty now that hybrid bear reminded me about that) is paying interest on the $19,000 vs. 0% on the $27,000. That ups the price of the 2013 by $2600, so there is an $5400 actual difference in price to buy.

This one's OASIS report says all Recalls and Updates are completed. 'NO CAMPAIGN MESSAGE(S) FOUND'

This one still needs the 3 latest Recalls (14S21, 15S16, 15E03) to be done plus the APIM warranty extension is there. Typical report for a 2013.

BTW, a Ford Dealer cannot sell this car unless these are taken care of, a private party doesn't have to do anything.

This would be from a dealer - both of them. The used one is in the town where I work. The new one I would travel to get. A $50 plane ticket and a 900 mile drive home.

I know this is true of Certified Used cars, is this true of all used cars?

I know this is true of Certified Used cars, is this true of all used cars?

Looking at one of the letters from Ford to dealers, it says "Demonstration / Delivery Hold" and then says "DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any of the affected vehicles involved in this safety recall" -- but doesn't stipulate new vs used.

I'm leaning towards the new. I've been in the same car since 2002 and it was a year old then. My paint is all peeling, my heater core busted, my power steering pump went out about a month ago and I have to put about a quart of oil a month in it. I may just be ready for new for a while.

I would go with the 2015 if you can afford the payment. Bumper to bumper warranty would be worth it alone in my opinion plus you'll know the cars full history.

Based on the better mpg than I get now for my monthly reimbursed work travel, I will make $100 more a month in fuel savings. That helps the payment. I can afford it regardless. But that his me justify it for sure. Makes my monthly payment around $300.

I would go with the 2015 if you can afford the payment. Bumper to bumper warranty would be worth it alone in my opinion plus you'll know the cars full history.

Me too, plus all the early issues have been fixed on the 2015's.

Looking at one of the letters from Ford to dealers, it says "Demonstration / Delivery Hold" and then says "DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any of the affected vehicles involved in this safety recall" -- but doesn't stipulate new vs used.

I think this is a NHTSA requirement for safety recalls. I don't know if it would impact used cars.

Me too, plus all the early issues have been fixed on the 2015's.

What were the early issues on the 2015's?

I am definitely getting the 2015 Wednesday morning. Only reason I ask is that the 2015 VIN I posted earlier in this thread has Navigation - (I could care less) my iPhone Navigation is just fine, lol.

They have another 2015 that's same color and everything the same except instead of Navigation, it has Active Park Assist and Intelligent Access and it would be a few hundred dollars cheaper because of a $500 bonus cash offer on cars invoiced before Januray 1st. The car with the Navigation was invoiced this year and isn't eligible for the extra $500 off. VIN on this car is: 3FA6P0LU1FR167437

Thoughts on the feature difference?

-Mickey

Not what I meant, I was referring to the 2013's when I said 'early issues'.

Having APA will give you the front sensors, which I wish my car had.

That car has a 10/07/2014 build date.

I am definitely getting the 2015 Wednesday morning. Only reason I ask is that the 2015 VIN I posted earlier in this thread has Navigation - (I could care less) my iPhone Navigation is just fine, lol.

They have another 2015 that's same color and everything the same except instead of Navigation, it has Active Park Assist and Intelligent Access and it would be a few hundred dollars cheaper because of a $500 bonus cash offer on cars invoiced before Januray 1st. The car with the Navigation was invoiced this year and isn't eligible for the extra $500 off. VIN on this car is: 3FA6P0LU1FR167437

Thoughts on the feature difference?

-Mickey

Guess that depends on what is most important to you.

3FA6P0LU1FR167437:

• Sitting somewhere for 8 months.
  • Active Park Assist with Forward Sensing System
  • Intelligent Access w/Push Button Start and Remote Start
  • Charcoal Black Leather Seats

3FA6P0LU9FR289219:

• Sitting somewhere for 3 months
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Navigation – with SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link® with *60 months subscription
  • Dune Leather Seats

And as far as the $500 difference, I would imagine you could negotiate that off of the 3FA6P0LU9FR289219 FFH too, if that is the one you really want.