RogerHan

New Fusion Hybrid vs Fusion Energi

I think the '16 FFE we just bought will be actually better on long runs (we do at least two a year) than the FFH.

Even after you have exhausted your EV range? I'm curious why you think that given that the EPA highway number for the FFE is 5 MPG less than the FFH? It would be very interesting to have a side by side MPG face off on a 500 mile trip. I'm putting my money on the FFH given its lighter weight, taller axle ratio and the EPA numbers.

Here's one that I've posted on the forum before, from a road trip last year on I-81 from VA to TN where there are a lot of rolling hills, but definitely not to the extent of rjent's hills in NM. Anyway, in my experience I've found the 2013 Energi to get about 5% lower MPG than the 2013 FFH did, but the below is from a trip in the Energi and it was definitely no slouch on MPG -- speed limit was 65 along most of that so I had the cruise set on 68 and below were the results. The first trip was 173 miles (shown at bottom) and that was helped by having a full HVB charge to start, but the rest of it was all hybrid mode.

MPG_20140612_zpsf787c6e1.jpg

Edited by jeff_h

Remember the 47/47/47 fiasco for the C-Max Hybrid? Ford used the FFH numbers for the C-Max Hybrid due to the now well-known EPA loophole. For the Energi models, Ford only tested the C-Max Energi, following that same loophole since it was expected to sell better than the Fusion Energi. Thus, you want to compare the EPA numbers between the C-Max Energi & C-Max Hybrid to get a feel for the difference caused by the Energi powertrain.

HB, not sure if I am following what you are saying. The EPA numbers I referenced are the latest EPA numbers and if I remember correctly Ford revised them down for both the FFH and the FFE. The FFE highway EPA number is now (after revisions) 5 less than the FFH. While they may not be accurate given different driving styles the relative difference between the two is probably reasonably accurate.

The thing I have a hard time understanding is how the FFE could do better on the highway (given identical driving conditions) after the FFE has drained the HVB that was charged from the grid. From that point forward both cars are getting 100% of their power from burning gasoline. 100% of the power going into the FFH's HVB and the FFE's HVB is coming from burning gasoline. There is no "free" energy going into the HVBs for either car. Given the greater weight and lower axle ratio the FFE is at a disadvantage. I do understand that on a long downhill grade the FFE will have an advantage of being able to recapture a greater percentage of the energy that was expended (from burning gasoline) when climbing the hill/mountain. But on relatively flat terrain (or modest hills) the FFE seems like it will be at a disadvantage compared to the FFH.

Interesting conversation.

It is true that if you stop a FFH and a FFE from the same speed using only regen braking you will recover more energy in the FFE because it is a heavier vehicle. But this is only because you used more energy to get the FFE up to speed in the first place, again because it's a heavier vehicle. And because regen is not 100% efficient you are loosing energy overall.

This is true. But, the FFE can sometimes recover a larger percentage of the previously expended energy because of its larger HVB capacity. The FFH may reach max SOC and resort to friction braking while the FFE is still performing regen braking and charging its larger HVB. I also suspect that long downhill grades or deceleration resulting in lost opportunity for the FFH is relatively uncommon. Sure, it happens but it is not the norm.

It seems like to me it might not be all psychological, since if there is more inherent drag while coasting on the 2016s, then for someone like me who does a lot of coasting up to red lights, it would cause me to have to apply some more gas than I normally do just to make it to the red light.