Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Fusion letters on trunk falling off

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LadyDi

LadyDi

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 18 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Red Ford Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

I searched the forum and couldn't find any discussion on this issue.  Yesterday part of the "F" in the Fusion letters on the trunk fell off.  I had a car that was 25 years old and the letters never fell off.  Anyone else have this problem?

219170.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:20 AM

Yes, kind of a cheap way to stick the nice chrome letters on a car isn't it.  Most cars are that way now.  Just some 3-M tape with a chromed bit of plastic.

My 'F' also fell off so I bought a set, about $20 and after prepping with alcohol, stuck the new one on - be careful to get it straight. 

I went around the car and checked all the other letters and they seem snug.

Later, my wife was walking down the driveway and found my old one laying there, so now I have a full set. 

If this happens again I'll use some BSI Insta-Cure* adhesive and it'll never come off. 

I have since stopped going to car washes that use brushes (I know, I know) and am very careful when washing the car myself.

• gkinla likes this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#3 OFFLINE   LadyDi

LadyDi

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:33 PM

I don't know where it fell and don't have it.  I will be asking Ford to replace it as I don't think that is normal.  I didn't run my car through a car wash for the letter to just fall off, but thanks for the suggestions.

219170.png

#4 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 954 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:01 PM

I removed the hybrid emblems/lettering from my FFH. After applying only a little bit of heat from a hair dryer the adhesive became soft/gooey and the plastic letters came off very easily. I would guess that direct sunlight on a hot day would have the same effect.

#5 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:05 PM

I searched the forum and couldn't find any discussion on this issue.  Yesterday part of the "F" in the Fusion letters on the trunk fell off.  I had a car that was 25 years old and the letters never fell off.  Anyone else have this problem?

If your car is still under warranty it should be no problem for the dealer to fix it. Other members have commented about having this happen a few times over the years but it doesn't seem to be a common issue.

• LadyDi likes this

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#6 OFFLINE   DeeCee

DeeCee

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 417 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2004 Toyota Tacoma, 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:15 PM

My F came off early on. Had the dealer replace it under warranty. Recently had another letter I found loose so got some 3M plastic emblem adhesive from local auto parts store and re-glued it myself.

2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Reserve

MKZ Technology package

White Platinum

Cappuccino Leather

#7 OFFLINE   gkinla

gkinla

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 339 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Fusion Energi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2016

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:40 PM

I've had several letters fall off the Fusion emblem and the dealer replaced them without question. The last time the dealer created a major problem. The tech assigned to replace the lost letter took part of the Ruby Red paint off the trunk lid under the Fusion emblem. Evidently when the letter came off some of the paint came with it. This section of the trunk lid is black plastic. The techs use a mechanical rotary eraser to remove the black 3M adhesive to get down to the paint before sticking a letter back on. Not knowing or checking, the tech started to what he thought was removing the black 3M adhesive. It didn't come off, so he kept trying. The end result was a 1/2 by 1 inch, or larger, patch of paint being removed down to the black plastic. So this usually one hour event turned out to be a 3 day affair. I was sitting in the lounge when the service manager came over to me with this look of dread on his face. I thought, oh crap somethin big had happened in the service bay, and then he told me of the problem. The dealer kept the car for three days while the trunk lid was repainted. I mention this because if someone tries this at home watch out and make sure that the paint hasn't lifted. The black 3M you think is left, just may be the black plastic showing. The dealer did give me a loaner for the time it took to repaint the trunk lid.

Edited by gkinla, 12 June 2015 - 11:42 PM.

• hybridbear and GrySql like this

#8 OFFLINE   LadyDi

LadyDi

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:35 AM

How dreadful gkinla.  Thanks for the warning.  Going in Monday to get it done along with the musty odor problem in the AC vents.  Luckily it is still under warranty.

• GrySql and gkinla like this

219170.png

#9 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 706 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:29 AM

What the F? I just checked mine and several letters seem somewhat loose, especially the F and I. Just before reading this, I was commenting to my wife that I thought the Hybrid lettering/emblem on the front doors was unnecessary. They appear a little crooked, too. I may remove them, but I'm afraid of potential paint discoloration since it was built 2 years ago.

244968.png

#10 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:47 AM

I've had several letters fall off the Fusion emblem and the dealer replaced them without question. The last time the dealer created a major problem. The tech assigned to replace the lost letter took part of the Ruby Red paint off the trunk lid under the Fusion emblem. Evidently when the letter came off some of the paint came with it. This section of the trunk lid is black plastic. The techs use a mechanical rotary eraser to remove the black 3M adhesive to get down to the paint before sticking a letter back on. Not knowing or checking, the tech started to what he thought was removing the black 3M adhesive. It didn't come off, so he kept trying. The end result was a 1/2 by 1 inch, or larger, patch of paint being removed down to the black plastic. So this usually one hour event turned out to be a 3 day affair. I was sitting in the lounge when the service manager came over to me with this look of dread on his face. I thought, oh crap somethin big had happened in the service bay, and then he told me of the problem. The dealer kept the car for three days while the trunk lid was repainted. I mention this because if someone tries this at home watch out and make sure that the paint hasn't lifted. The black 3M you think is left, just may be the black plastic showing. The dealer did give me a loaner for the time it took to repaint the trunk lid.

At least our Dealer took care to make it right.  I bet our SM 'Mike' was not happy with that 'Tech'.

• gkinla likes this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#11 OFFLINE   gkinla

gkinla

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 339 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Fusion Energi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2016

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:26 PM

At least our Dealer took care to make it right.  I bet our SM 'Mike' was not happy with that 'Tech'.

It was Mike our SM that told me the bad news. Yes the dealer made it right. I've had such good luck with the dealer stepping up to handle whatever the problem is. And other things like turning on the DRL's without question or charging us to do it.

Edited by gkinla, 13 June 2015 - 05:01 PM.

• GrySql likes this

#12 OFFLINE   jeffo65

jeffo65

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 312 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid, 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:13 PM

We also had our "FUSION" turn into a "FUSIO".  The dealer replaced the letters under warranty with no problems.  It appears that the letters are mounted on a soft/pliable rubber whereas our other car the letters are directly glued to the car.

228095.png<p> 

#13 OFFLINE   machoman1337

machoman1337

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE Ice Storm/Lexus LS430

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:35 AM

Mine's secondhand and will be 3 years old this August.

I haven't had any letters fall off yet. I wonder if the original owner (a Ford dealership using it for demos) fixed it, lol. I think quite a few recalls/TSBs were done on my car before I bought it, because it doesn't have the rattles and other common issues that plagued the Job 1's.

My precious: 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE Ice Storm - Luxury Package (Dune), Navigation, Tech Package, Active Park Assist, Moonroof (ugh), 18" premium painted luxury wheels. Built in July 2012, bought CPO (former demonstrator) in May 2014. 6.3L/100 km lifetime fuel economy

Current temporary ride: 2003 Lexus LS430 w/navigation and parking sensors. Bought in December 2002, selling when I graduate

#14 OFFLINE   LEM

LEM

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 195 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:35 AM

Same thing. My 2013 FFH had a for a while the word FUSON on the back. I was lucky that I found it the "I" and I glued it.

And yes, it looks so cheap. I always wash my car by hand and I have to be extremely careful when I'm around them.

• jeff_h likes this

#15 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 435 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ruby Red wLight Stone Leather
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:04 AM

I've been seriously toying with a total debadging of the thing.  First, the HYBRID tags on the doors do look strange as was pointed out.  And I think that at least on Tux Black as I have, the removal of more of the glitter only makes it look better.

As noted, light usage of a hair dryer or heat gun and some monofilament line should do the trick with a bit of cleanup afterward.  Quite a few Fiesta owners debadged their cars and most times it looked a lot better.  Also, I get a lettering set out of the deal if I do it right! ;)

Larry - aka Cobra

Big Red: 2017 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Med Light Stone leather

602A SE Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control w/stop & go

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, auto wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked)

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare

Summer rims/tires - 17" Verde Regency rims with OEM tread

Winter rims/tires - 17" OEM rims with Goodyear UltraGrip WRT Ice

#16 OFFLINE   securityguy

securityguy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 63 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FUSION SE HYBRID

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:41 AM

gkinia - sorry but that tech is a MORON!  It doesn't take the sharpest tool in the shed to do what he was asked to do.  I have debadged several cars during my lifetime and there is an easy way to remove lettering and the 3M tape.  Use dental floss to move the letters and Goo-Gone Automotive or WD40 to remove the 3M tape left on the car.  Neither will harm the paint and you can then clean it up and reattach whatever you want.

#17 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:30 PM

I lost the "I" when she was still very young while cleaning her and the towel getting caught on it.

I put it back with the same 3M tape the used originally since then no issues.
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#18 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 954 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:48 AM

gkinia - sorry but that tech is a MORON!  It doesn't take the sharpest tool in the shed to do what he was asked to do.  I have debadged several cars during my lifetime and there is an easy way to remove lettering and the 3M tape.  Use dental floss to move the letters and Goo-Gone Automotive or WD40 to remove the 3M tape left on the car.  Neither will harm the paint and you can then clean it up and reattach whatever you want.

I removed all of the hybrid badges from mine.  Very easy to do.

Edited by Texasota, 26 June 2015 - 11:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·