smr2112

Replacing my Stock Lug Nuts - Need help

I agree that my replacement lugnuts don't fill the wheel lug opening as fully as the OEM type.

Take a look here, maybe they can help you find something better.

http://www.brandsport.com/golugnuwhlof4.html

Another place I found online that has a decent selection of lug nuts is:

https://www.lugnutguys.com/

But the set of lug nuts I finally purchased was on Amazon.

Since I preferred to not have the extra tall chrome replacement lug nuts sticking out on my 5-spoke wheels, I went with the extra tall _blue_ lug nuts since they don't seem to stick out as much like a swollen sore thumb to me.

And another reason I like the blue color is that the blue lug nuts mostly match the blue Ford center cap covering the wheel hub. And they are even a closer match to the blue valve stem caps I had already installed myself when I replaced the awful bright green caps my dealer had put on to indicate that my tires were filled with nitrogen.

5-Spoke Wheel with Blue lug nuts and valve stem cap

Dorman Blue Replacement Lug Nuts

I got my blue lug nuts from Amazon, at this link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-711-342-Pack-Wheel-Nuts/dp/B000IZ7XFM/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1437847090&sr=1-1&keywords=711-342

Some of the online photos, including the ones at Amazon, make these blue lug nuts look like they are a paler lighter shade of blue, but the pics I posted here show how they are really a deeper darker blue than many of the online photos of them make them out to be.

As a side note, when I bought my set of lug nuts from Amazon, they were being listed at a much cheaper price than what they are currently showing now on Amazon. When I purchased them a week ago, they were shipped and sold directly by Amazon. But after I bought the 1 last set which they showed as being the last set they had in stock directly from Amazon, then the only sets available at that Amazon link were from external vendors, and that Amazon webpage immediately started showing a much higher price than what I payed. I have no clue if Amazon will ever ship these lug nuts directly from Amazon again or not.

My new lug nuts are made by Dorman Products (http://www.dormanproducts.com/), and are also available at O'Reilly auto parts stores (online and locally here) at an even slightly higher price than the ones currently showing as being available on Amazon. These blue Dorman lug nuts are the same height as the chrome ones others here have said they purchased from Amazon, at 1.4" (manufacturer says 1.375") tall versus the 1.25" I measured on my stock lug nuts. And that measurement I did on the FFH stock lug nuts was at the very tippy top of the point. So the stock lug nuts actually look even shorter than even that difference in height would indicate since that point on the stock lug nuts is so pointy.

These blue lug nuts are the M12x1.5 size of lug nuts, with the acorn bulge and the 60° seat angle, and they do fit great on my wheels. But the interesting thing is that both the manufacturer's website (Dorman) and Amazon say they don't fit on my 2014 FFH.

But because of the knowledge I have gained from this fabulous forum, I now know I have one less thing to worry about should I end up being out in the boonies and not being able to get my wheel off if I should ever end up getting a flat and needing to use my spare tire, which was also obtained based on knowledge I gained at this awesomely great forum.

Edited by Hybrider

Just a note too about the Continental PureContract LRR tires - I assume those are the ones you are referring to.

They are great now that I've had them for 1 month, it was well worth the money to make the change pre-maturely

and I can easily tell how much easier the car both rolls and stops better and I assume the rubber compound is much

more "grippy" as I hear it squeak at low speed on my garage floor and driveway. Really makes it a much

more different car and should have had these to begin with. I feel gypped by the original LS2s! They also

absorb bumps better and make the car very quiet on the highway. Highly recommended.

Good write up and they make your car look good and a little more personal.

At the risk of wandering off topic, I was looking at your pictures and your GY LS2 tires remind me that I am so glad I changed to Continental LRR tires. During the 32k miles I had the LS2's I didn't think they were a bad tire, in fact, after boosting them to 40psi, though they rode well. Not anymore, my Conti's with their stiff sidewall really changed the car's handling and ride for the better.

Rotated my tires and spun an alum. cover over the lug nut.

Others are scuffed up.

Decided to replace the poorly designed original set.

DP from Amazon was the replacement.

http://www.amazon.com/DPAccessories-LCB3B6HC-CH04020-Premium-Chrome-M12x1-5/dp/B00JNEBF1M/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1451165582&vehicle=2013-54-2816-3184--1-6-5-19396--1-1-4643--1-0&sr=1-2&ymm=2013%3Aford%3Afusion&keywords=ford+fusion+lug+nuts

Went with the flat top slightly longer ones.

Not the acorns.

Gained 6.35 ounces in weight compared to originals.

Actual contact shoulder to rim looked the same. Although the originals were wider.

Very happy with the results on my 5 spoke rims.

2 on left were old/ 3 new on right slightly longer length on 3 lugs.

gallery_11865_305_65108.jpggallery_11865_305_79566.jpg

Decided to replace the poorly designed original set. DP from Amazon was the replacement.

Thanks for the replacement info. The new lug nuts look nice. I like your garage floor too.