smr2112

Replacing my Stock Lug Nuts - Need help

So what causes this? Discount Tire has rotated tires twice on our Energi and the lug nuts look like they've never had a wrench touch them...

This problem of bending the caps on the OEM lugnuts can be mostly avoided with the proper equipment and training.

Inexperienced tire employees; worn out, wrong sized or poor quality lugnut socket; over doing it with an impact gun instead of hand loosening/tightening; incorrect torque spec's can cause this. Some good tire shops keep spares on hand and simply replace any OEM's that are bent.

Even at home you can run into trouble if the lugnut was torqued too tight or your socket is not properly seated, etc.

smr2112 - if the Ford Dealer had a hard time with them, I doubt it was anything you did.

HB, you have a good deal going with your Discount Tire Store store.

My local DTS sold out and the folks that replaced them aren't even close to the DTS standards.

Edited by GrySql

So what causes this? Discount Tire has rotated tires twice on our Energi and the lug nuts look like they've never had a wrench touch them...

Same here. My tires have been rotated twice by Ford Quick Lane and while you can tell that that they have been removed (some discoloring where the socket made contact) there is no deformation or damage of the lug nuts.

I really want to replace my lug nuts with the solid chrome lug nuts others here have said they used for replacements. But the after-market lug nuts look much taller, and uglier too, than the OEM lug nuts on my 5-spoke 18" wheels.

Have any of you found any shorter, solid lug nuts that would fit on my 5-spoke wheels?

I just checked Amazon too and they say the lugs don't fit a 2015. I then went to the owners manual section of the forum and confirmed that the lugs are M12 x 1.5 so there should not be an issue on a 2015.

I just checked Amazon too and they say the lugs don't fit a 2015. I then went to the owners manual section of the forum and confirmed that the lugs are M12 x 1.5 so there should not be an issue on a 2015.

I have found the Amazon link to be flaky. It will tell me they don't fit, but if I open the same link from a different post, they do fit. Newegg has the exact same item for $20, free shipping AND I have purchased all sorts of stuff through them. So that's where I'm gonna get mine.

I really want to replace my lug nuts with the solid chrome lug nuts others here have said they used for replacements. But the after-market lug nuts look much taller, and uglier too, than the OEM lug nuts on my 5-spoke 18" wheels.

Have any of you found any shorter, solid lug nuts that would fit on my 5-spoke wheels?

I agree that my replacement lugnuts don't fill the wheel lug opening as fully as the OEM type.

Take a look here, maybe they can help you find something better.

http://www.brandsport.com/golugnuwhlof4.html

This forum just keeps sucking money out of my pocket. Just ordered replacement lug nuts off Amazon to rid myself of the aluminum capped nuts. Better to do it now than have to deal with it later and for $20 it's a no-brainer. Thanks Guys...anything else I should buy??? ;)

This forum just keeps sucking money out of my pocket. Just ordered replacement lug nuts off Amazon to rid myself of the aluminum capped nuts. Better to do it now than have to deal with it later and for $20 it's a no-brainer. Thanks Guys...anything else I should buy??? ;)

Did you get your WeatherTech trunk/cargo area mat yet? ☺

haha...actually was looking at those but really don't see the need for it. I have never purchased one for any of the cars I own but they do make great stuff.

haha...actually was looking at those but really don't see the need for it. I have never purchased one for any of the cars I own but they do make great stuff.

OK, how about a Nushield triple A (Anti-glare, Anti-fingerprint, Anti-microbial, or other) screen protector for your MFT screen? They are awesome and cost about $15 from Nushield.com. ☺

Must have Husky or Weathertech floor liners, traps water/dirt, helps keep the carpets clean.

Good to have locking wheel nuts for security.

May want to have a Scangauge. Monitors engine, trans, battery temperatures, tire pressures.

May want a dashcam.

Probably don't need a hourmeter, but I have one. No real reason, just interested to know the total operating time.

May want to have a Scangauge. Monitors engine, trans, battery temperatures, tire pressures.

Cheaper than a ScanGauge is an OBDLink MX BlueTooth adapter to go with an Android phone or tablet you have and FORScan from the Play Store. FORScan will allow you to read all the proprietary Ford sensors and the proprietary DTCs.

Got Husky Liners...not a big fan of wheel locks...actually have been researching dash cams - looking at the "black box" units as they appear to be the best out there and well under $100...not interested in a scan gauge or hour meter. Maybe I'm done ;)

Got Husky Liners...not a big fan of wheel locks...actually have been researching dash cams - looking at the "black box" units as they appear to be the best out there and well under $100...not interested in a scan gauge or hour meter. Maybe I'm done ;)

Totally off topic but I bought following dash cam and it fits the bill.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SGXUUTO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1436743975&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=Falcon+Zero&dpPl=1&dpID=41UAxPKRG5L&ref=plSrch

Another $15 has just left my wallet :arrive_alive:

Steeda strut tower brace, hood struts and sway bar?

Edited by Cobra348

Probably don't need a hourmeter, but I have one. No real reason, just interested to know the total operating time.

The Trip1 and Trip2 displays do display hours in addition to mileage and MPG. That would seem to give you an hour meter if you use either trip1 or trip2 as your lifetime metrics (i.e. don't reset them). But I suppose they would also include time in EV mode as opposed to only ICE run time.

The Trip1 and Trip2 displays do display hours in addition to mileage and MPG. That would seem to give you an hour meter if you use either trip1 or trip2 as your lifetime metrics (i.e. don't reset them). But I suppose they would also include time in EV mode as opposed to only ICE run time.

Yup - that's my assumption as well. Time is kind of interesting in seeing how long it took to rack up the mileage on the trip meter. Other than that I dunno ...

I always reset the trips once in a while that's why I installed the hour meter. Don't really need it, just curious. Total time right now is about 650 hours. Probably useless information, but I like it...

Hey security guy: thought about splash guards/mud flaps? They really do a great job of keeping the side of your car cleaner. They're easy to install yourself and it doesn't take long at all. They bolt/screw on and look good too. The best prices I found for the OEM product:

Price Shipping Ford Part No.

Splash Guards, Molded Front Group1AutoParts.com $38.84 $6.21 DS7Z-16A550-AA

Splash Guards, Molded Rear Group1AutoParts.com $38.84 $6.22 DS7Z-16A550-CA

The Ford MSRP is $49.99 (ea pair) + tax. You may find cheaper similar looking ones on eBay, but they're probably not the OEM product. Just sayin'! :)

Edited by TonyHzNV

Thanks Tony but worked them into the deal when I bought the car...never buy a car without F/R mud guards for the reason you mentioned above. Thanks for thinking of me my friend :)

Hey security guy: thought about splash guards/mud flaps? They really do a great job of keeping the side of your car cleaner.

Be aware that the reason that the mud flaps keep the back of the car clean is because they're disrupting the air flow & adding drag.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/8229-splash-guards-mudflaps-warm-weather-and-dust/

corncobs...so you have this model and are very happy with it? Looks nice and certainly within my price range. Where did you wire it into for power?

corncobs...so you have this model and are very happy with it? Looks nice and certainly within my price range. Where did you wire it into for power?

Yes I'm happy with it! The fact that it comes with a 64GB card is pretty cool. So far it's just powered by the provided 12V to USB adapter and the cable. It is long enough to run it over and down the A pillar back to center console below the glovebox for the front 12V outlet.

I planning to add a USB male connector into the overhead console so I can plug it in right there.