Sign in to follow this  
Howie411

So this is interesting - Hybrid Payback Period

During the Great Recession, the AVERAGE age of cars and light trucks on US roads reached 10.8 years. A car can reasonably be expected to reach 200K miles and 12-14 years with routine maintenance. The calculation of hybrid payback time is aimed at drivers that trade new cars in every 2-3 years. That is a skewed picture. The actuality is these cars will about pay for at least half of their total purchase price over the life of the car. You can't compare a non hybrids highway mpg to a hybrids. The US city- highway mileage mix is about 50-50 (60-40, 40-60? ). Nothing but a hybrid or electric solves the city mileage penalty. Certainly not a VW TDI.

HVBs are proving to be more reliable than automatic transmissions with similar after-market replacement costs. The picture is fuzzy because so few HVBs have failed even under warranty. It is becoming a non-issue.

Don't forget, when gas prices dropped dramatically last year, SUV sales increased, while hybrid sales decreased. The higher the gas prices, the quicker the payback is achieved. If gas dropped to $1/gallon (and all other things stayed relatively the same), you'd see very, very few new hybrids on the road. Heck, if I could be assured that gas would remain that cheap, I'd be driving a hot, new Mustang. That would be a no-brainer for me.

I don't know; wouldn't it be great to drive cross country for less than $75.00?

But a 2015 Mustang GT would get there for probably no more than half that (@ $1/gal). That's just a night at a cheap, roadside motel! ;)

Payback? My neighbor is getting his FFE for free! He was driving a six speed 435hp Camaro 100mi rt to work for a $600./mo gas bill. Now he averages about $100./mo, paying for the car handily. Thats pretty nice payback.