Sign in to follow this  
Howie411

So this is interesting - Hybrid Payback Period

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybridCompare.jsp

2015 Ford Fusion Titanium vs 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium - Payback Period 2.6 Years

2015 Ford Fusion SE vs 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE- Payback Period 5.7 Years

2015 Ford Fusion S vs 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid S - Payback Period 6.9 Years

So basically if your going to buy a titanium, you may as well buy the Hybrid.

I did that calculation before buying my 2013 FFH SE, and determined that payback for me would be about 3 years @ 25K miles per year, and the price of gas at the time. Of course, I used the EPA combined figure from that time - 47 MPG. Fortunately, my actual results are better than that! :happy feet: However, my actual payback period has probably grown a little, since gas prices have dropped so much. I can only look at that as a win/win situation. Bottom line for me is, these cars have been well worth the investment.

I always laugh at the "payback" thing regarding hybrids. Whats the payback of buying a GT 500 instead of a V6 Mustang? It is nothing more than a matter of choice. There is more to buying a Hybrid than saving gas. So what if it cost a bit more than the gas version, but in the long run using fewer gallons of gas over the ownership of the car saves more than just pocket change, environmentally is an even bigger savings.

There you go, seems like I'm not the only one who looks at it like this. I never consider a car an investment unless its a Classic that I know I can flip some day. There was a commercial on the radio years ago that made me laugh calling a car an investment. Investment to me is something that eventually earns you money, like a house(though recently...), or an IRA or 401K, those are investments, and payback on those are something you want to know.

Buying a car is more of a choice, like a refrigerator, or stove. You will never get back what you paid(unless its an LG and it craps out in 8 months) for any of these, so just get what you want and enjoy it. I enjoyed my HyTi tremendously, and to me it was a great car for the time I had it, would still have it if I could have found a way to keep it, but having a car sit outside not being driven is bad for a car.

The payback principle is simple, whether you choose to recognize it or not. Would you pay several thousand more for the car if it got the same MPG as the conventional models? While some may care enough to be greener, and may have the means to do so, most of us probably buy it for the expected improvements in fuel efficiency. The payback principle allows you to determine when the expected savings will stop covering the additional cost of the hybrid option. After that, the savings stay in your pocket.

Keys are sooo twentieth century, lol.

Be nice now nv! We should support our brothers and sisters that must use such antiquated technology. ;)

Edited by SteveB_TX

I agree very interesting opinions. I'm part of the total experience group yes the cost savings did play a role but overall it was hybrid driving experience and technology aspect that sold me.

I wanted a car that would use less gas, that was bigger than a shoebox, and had better styling, too. All the other benefits are a plus.