mnosek

Brake pads and rotors last much longer on hybrid?

Have FFH owners found that the friction brake parts last much longer than normal cars? This should be the case, right? Since so much of the stopping force is being done by the regenerative brakes?

The friction brakes should last more than 100k miles, if the driver and car are working correctly.

We have some owners of earlier model FFH's that have gone much, much longer.

A member here changed the pads of a 2010 FFH at 140,000 miles and they were worn half way down.

As another data point, I have a 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid that required the rear rotors and brake pads to be replaced at 21,000 miles. The pads were only half-worn, but the rear rotors were rusted and heavily grooved. The front rotors and pads were just fine. Odd that the back wore off so quickly.

I just had to change my rear brakes on my 14 FFH. I just hit 90k. I was trying my best to have them last longer by engine braking every now and then. When I was changing them I noticed my rear wheel bearings are getting quite worn, my brother said they'll need replacing soon. The wheels don't move as easy as they once did. I think this is contributing to my 38mpg.

How did you determine they are getting worn? To determine if there is something wrong with them you would have to remove them for a visual inspection. If they are playing a role in reducing your MPG, then they are likely running hot and would show signs of pitting and/or discoloration. It is also likely they would be making noise.

With 144k mi. mine show no grooving and practically look new. With 80% hwy miles probably makes a noticeable difference. :)

Paul

2014 Fusion energi. Failed safety at 40k miles due to rusty rotors after the dealer said everything was fine. Machined. Less than four months later, 50k miles, dealer recommends machining the fronts again and replacing the rear. The pads are fine. The rotors are rusty, discolored and have begun flaking off in spots. Private shop says they would still currently pass a safety unlike 4 months ago but recommended they all be replaced soon (do not machine again, never should have been machined) and recommended some coated aluminum rotors that might resist the rust better from the lack of use hybrid brakes see.

80% highway miles with little to no stop and go traffic. I live in southern Ontario, Canada.

Edited by openair

If the rotors are rusting due to lack of use, then periodic firm braking might be a simple solution to this problem. Once or twice a week (or even once per day) drive like an ICE driver and brake hard as you approach the stop light/sign. The increase in fuel costs will be a non-issue compared to the cost of brake repairs.

I've tried that. Driving on the highway daily it's either brake brake hard at certain ramps or start braking while still on the freeway. Plus other drivers cause me to occasionally as well too. Them flaking is a caused by them heating up too much, now that they've been machined, when they do get used.

Our 2012 Ford Escape Hybrid had 100k miles on it before we sold it and we never changed the pads, rotors, or drums. They were still fine when it was sold.

Our 2012 FEH had the lowest maintenance cost at 100k of any vehicle we have ever owned.

Edited by bdginmo

I'll add a data point to this thread. I just had to have rear pads and rotors replaced on my 2014 Fusion Hybrid at 66K miles after failing safety inspection. I was told that the rear rotors 'rotted' since they never really get used, and the rotors then destroyed the pads. The front pads are still 7/8. Was told at the service department that they replace FFH and CMax rear rotors all the time due to this. In hindsight, wish i would've bought coated rotors. Probably worthwhile in winter salt driving.

I'll add a data point to this thread. I just had to have rear pads and rotors replaced on my 2014 Fusion Hybrid at 66K miles after failing safety inspection. I was told that the rear rotors 'rotted' since they never really get used, and the rotors then destroyed the pads. The front pads are still 7/8. Was told at the service department that they replace FFH and CMax rear rotors all the time due to this. In hindsight, wish i would've bought coated rotors. Probably worthwhile in winter salt driving.

It's the opposite actually, the rear rotors are used all the time while the front rotors are not. The rear rotors have to balance the braking from regen, so the lighter you brake, the more your rear rotors get worn (relative to the fronts). I had the same issue, rears were toast while the fronts were still brand new.

BTW the coating on the rotors only protects the hub part of the rotor, not the actual braking surface. If you "coated" the braking surface, it wouldn't provide much braking friction anymore.

Edited by Waldo

Having 78% HWY miles, you use your brakes a lot less, I have 238k miles and haven't replaced brake rotors or pads. :)

Paul

Hi Folks, 

Useful thread here with a lot of good info.  I went to the dealer last month and they said my rear brake pads/rotors were in need of replacement.  It looks like the front brakes are where the regenerative brakes reside and its pretty normal for the rear rotors and pads to wear down faster.  My 2014 Fusion Hybrid only has ~$37K miles.

I just wanted to see if anyone here has replaced their own rear brakes/pads as I'm mainly curious if the regenerative braking was an issue at all on the rear brakes.  Sounds like that is not the case but wanted to confirm!  Also, if you have a recommendation on a quality set of rear brakes/pads please let me know.

Thanks for any help in advance.

16 hours ago, FordinMD said:

Hi Folks, 

Useful thread here with a lot of good info.  I went to the dealer last month and they said my rear brake pads/rotors were in need of replacement.  It looks like the front brakes are where the regenerative brakes reside and its pretty normal for the rear rotors and pads to wear down faster.  My 2014 Fusion Hybrid only has ~$37K miles.

I just wanted to see if anyone here has replaced their own rear brakes/pads as I'm mainly curious if the regenerative braking was an issue at all on the rear brakes.  Sounds like that is not the case but wanted to confirm!  Also, if you have a recommendation on a quality set of rear brakes/pads please let me know.

Thanks for any help in advance.

I think you are misunderstanding what "regenerative braking" is.  There is no physical part called a "regenerative brake".  Regenerative braking occurs when you swap the electical polarity on the hybrid motor and use it as a generator.  This uses the vehicle's momentum and turns it into electrical energy stored in the battery.  So what it means is that the hybrid system acts as a "brake" acting on the front wheels, and thus the front brakes are not needed nearly as much as in a non-hybrid.

But the bottom line is all the brakes, front and rear, on the Fusion Hybrid are exactly the same as on any other Fusion (except the Energi, which has larger brakes, but they are still "normal" in design).  The tricky part about replacing the rear brakes on any Fusion is the electric parking brake, you have to know how to put it into "maintenance mode".

Edited by Waldo

45 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I think you are misunderstanding what "regenerative braking" is.  There is no physical part called a "regenerative brake".  Regenerative braking occurs when you swap the electical polarity on the hybrid motor and use it as a generator.  This uses the vehicle's momentum and turns it into electrical energy stored in the battery.  So what it means is that the hybrid system acts as a "brake" acting on the front wheels, and thus the front brakes are not needed nearly as much as in a non-hybrid.

But the bottom line is all the brakes, front and rear, on the Fusion Hybrid are exactly the same as on any other Fusion (except the Energi, which has larger brakes, but they are still "normal" in design).  The tricky part about replacing the rear brakes on any Fusion is the electric parking brake, you have to know how to put it into "maintenance mode".

Great thanks for that info!  So standard brake pads and rotors that fit Ford Fusions should be fine.  I saw some Youtube videos showing how to put the e-brake into maintenance mode.  They also mentioned needing a Caliper Piston tool to wind the pistons back into place.   I'll give it a shot once I get the parts in, the dealer quoted me $550 or something to replace the rotors and pads for just the rear tires. 

On 2/21/2020 at 8:50 AM, Waldo said:

For the rear brakes, you need to line up the notch on the inside brake pads with the brake caliper piston pocket. Only rotate the piston COUNTER CLOCKWISE to align. Damage to brake pad or caliper piston may result otherwise.

On 2/21/2020 at 9:43 AM, FordinMD said:

Great thanks for that info!  So standard brake pads and rotors that fit Ford Fusions should be fine.  I saw some Youtube videos showing how to put the e-brake into maintenance mode.  They also mentioned needing a Caliper Piston tool to wind the pistons back into place.   I'll give it a shot once I get the parts in, the dealer quoted me $550 or something to replace the rotors and pads for just the rear tires. 

Not that tough to do. Just put the brake into maintenance mode, and you can just push the piston in without turning it. Manual actually suggests using a C-clamp. See below.

brake.jpg

brake2.jpg

125k miles and less than 25% usage on the pads. Bought the car with 30k miles on, and at around 50k miles I got the hang of when the brake pads start gripping. I always try to brake on regen when I can, but the 40HP motor is only good for braking between 65 to 45mph, after which you usually have to add some friction.

Replace pads with organic pads. They are the worst in initial grip, but the rotors will last longer, and will make a smoother transition between regen braking and using the brake pads. Ceramics wear the rotors, and cause the rims to get either flakes or rusty brake dust on it. The FFH is more of an economy car than a track car, so organic pads recommended.

From what I've used it would appear my first brake pad change would be around 250-300k miles.