CCalvinN

Reflections on a 2000+ mile road trip

I just got back from a Michigan to Texas road trip to visit some friends. This trip was planned many months ago and it was assumed I would fly down, but after getting my HyTi in February that plan changed. ROAD TRIP!!! It's been years since I took a long road trip for pleasure (many MANY road trips for business, but that was in a 15 passenger Dodge van and was NOT pleasurable!), and I figured if this mid sized hybrid sedan wouldn't be comfortable then NO car would be right for me.

My normal driving is to and from work with a bit of 'round town trips. The drive to/from work is about 50 miles most of which is 55 mph (cruise set at 60 mph). With the warm temps I've been got a tank in the mid 40 mpg but then found the AC button and that dropped to the low 40s. I am by no means a hyper miler. I know very well that this car is capable of far better fuel efficiency but I don't want to drive efficiently... I just want to drive and have the car get better gas mileage than previous cars.

MPG:

If you look at my fuelly data you can clearly see the drop I received in mpg. Instead of two lane 55 mph roads this was almost entirely interstate driving. Besides some construction and some slower spots near cities (St. Louis), the speeds ranged from 65 to 75 mph. I've always driven 5 mph above so I was cruising around at 70 to 80 mph. The drop in mpg was just about what I expected; down to 36 mpg.

The drive down was very warm. Temps in the mid 80s. The return trip was a dual headed beast... rain and storms on day one, cool temps on day two. The storms tanked the mpg but the cool temps let me go without the AC and netted me 38.1 mpg.

I couldn't be happier with these results. Sure, I could have used techniques talked about here and gotten better mpg but instead I drove it like I always do on road trips... set the cruise, turn up the tunes, and enjoy the scenery. When some car starts annoying me I dropped the pedal and speed past them... .the HyTi can easily and comfortably drive upwards of 95 mph.

Physical Comforts:

Wow. I don't exactly have a long list of comfortable cars to compare against, but this is far and above the most comfortable car I've driven. I expect to get driving fatigue in my ankles, knees, and back on any trip of 3 hours or more. I'm used to my body telling me when it's time to get off the road and stretch... my back would ache too much or my ankles would start to cramp. Not on this trip! This trip included 10, 8, 12, and 6 hours of driving. I would stop only when I felt my concentration waning, my bladder filling, or my tasty beverage emptying. On previous long trips I would have to walk around for 5 or 10 minutes to stretch my body back into a recognizable shape. This time I was fine by simply walking to the rest area bathroom or the gas station cooler. I'd get back in the car and be ready for another few hours of driving.

The AC blew true and cold. Leaving it in the 'Auto Climate Control' setting worked fine. When the sun started peeking through the windows and warming me up more, a few taps of the 'temp down' button remedied the situation without having to fiddle with the temp and fan settings constantly. And those cooled seats? WOW! I could only keep it on the highest setting for about 20 minutes at a time. I read in some other thread that it feels like you just peed your pants and I have to completely agree with that assessment. It actually grows uncomfortable... like sitting on a metal bench in winter. But dropping it down to the lowest setting was just fine for those first two hot days.

Speaking of the seats, these have hit the perfect balance of keeping my snugly held into place and letting me shift around to a more comfortable position. Whenever my back would start to let me know it needed to change position a quick tap of the powered seat (either up/down or tilting the back forward/rearward) remedied the situation swiftly.

If I had to lodge any complaint in the physical comfort department, it would be the dead pedal. I felt as though I needed another inch or two of room toward the outside of the car. But even that is a minor complaint and one that I've had in every single car I've ever owned/driven. In previous cars that discomfort would quickly grow into an ache.... in Ginger, it was a minor inconvenience in an otherwise comfortable ride.

Entertainment:

My previous car had the MFT system so I more or less knew what I was getting for this trip. Using the voice controls to switch between the Sirius stations, to the terrestrial radio stations to the iPod, to the bluetooth connected phone (where I keep my pod casts), was easy and smooth. For the most part. There were several times where I would have to tilt my head up, look 'inward', speak in-single-word-format, and shout just for the system to understand me. And even then it wouldn't understand me at times. Sadly with the lack of physical controls this meant that I had to resort to using the MFT screen. I love having that screen and it's beautiful to look at... but while driving at 80 mph it's never a good idea to take my eyes off the road long enough to line my finger up with the series of buttons just to change from the radio to the iPod. I imagine it's the microphone placement as I never had a problem with my 2012 Focus recognizing my voice commands.

The audio quality was incredibly satisfying. I didn't have to blast the music to overpower the wind/engine noise. Even driving with the window partially open (I smoke, so the windows was open a few inches many many times), I didn't have to deafen myself just to hear the dulcet tones of Terry Gross and her Fresh Air podcast. When I turned to music though and wanted to blast it... well the car doesn't have anywhere near a competition level audio system but it gets VERY loud and stays VERY clear. My musical tastes range from baroque, to jazz, from rock to rap, from country to alternative, and many other genres. My biggest complaint on radios that can produce loud music is that they can easily exceed themselves. What I mean is that you can turn up the stereo loud enough that you know you're damaging the speakers. I've had that happen before in situations like this... I'd be listening to a particularly rousing version of Bach's Brandenburg Concerto and slowly increase the volume to the max. At the end of the song I'd forget just how loud I had set it and the next song would invariably be something that would rip the subs apart. Not here. Not in the beauty of a car. I could jam out to Bach or Beethoven in one moment, leave the volume maxed, and then enjoy the ear drum damaging guitar and bass beat of Nine Inch Nails or Shaggy without feeling that I was damaging the car.

Navigation:

This is my first car that has ever included a navigation system. The previous car had Sync Services directions but that was more of a pain than anything else. On previous trips I would simply use an old paper map/atlas or better yet Google Maps and plan the trip out. I'd mark down what highways I'd have to take, and the rough distances between them and then just keep an eye on the signs and the odometer. Having a Nav system was was easier. I started out by inputting my buddy's house address in and then let the soft voice of Ginger tell me where to go. I was impressed by many small things in the nav experience.

Having the four stage information was very helpful in traffic. The first stage was letting me know what the next turn was and how far away it was (Left onto I-44 in 120 miles). When getting close the voice would chime in and let me know to turn left in 1 mile. Closer yet and it would chime in again with more specific instructions; turn left in six tenths of a mile onto I-44 West. And then that final double tone to let me know to turn NOW.

Audibly the system is good. Visually, it's even better. I loved the third 'view' option when on the highway. The left hand of the MFT screen showed the moving map while the right hand side would show the next turn and below that an ever changing information box of what the next few exits had. The exit information was particularly helpful when searching for a hotel. At a glance I could decide that while this exit does have a hotel, the next exit has hotels, gas stations, and restaurants. The only time I looked at the billboards or exit signs was when I wanted to know WHICH hotel was at a particular exit. While in the city I preferred the second 'view' option where it was the map on the left and a turn by turn set of driving directions on the right.

The best part for me though was the lane information. While driving south of Chicago and through St Louis there are many highways coming together and splitting apart. Knowing that I have to turn right in a mile is great... but a glance at the screen would also let me know that three of the four lanes would be turning right so I didn't need to quickly get over into the far right land during rush hour traffic. I didn't look too closely at the every screen like this (Rush Hour Traffic!!), but every screen it displayed showing the lane configuration seemed to match the particular 'intersection' I was approaching. It even included the road signs that I would see!

Overall I was impressed. I was able to take a 2000+ mile trip with no map or paper directions in the car beforehand. Sure, I had my phone just in case the Nav system sucked or broke, but I never had to use it.

Random Impressions:

I've mentioned in a previous post that I was a little disappointed in just how common the Fusion is. This trip did nothing to change that opinion as there were plenty of other Fusions sharing the concrete with me. BUT.... they all looked damned good! On my second day of driving I had to stop for gas at some podunk gas station in some podunk Oklahoma town. Some old timer sitting out in front of the garage/gas-station/grocery-store got up and came over for a closer look. He complimented me on the car and was very impressed when I started telling him all the features. I think I blew his mind when I told him the gas mileage I was getting.

I've finally found my car's twin. For several miles somewhere in southern Illinois I played leapfrog with another Ruby Red Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium with medium ceramic interior.

One night at the hotel I was outside my room having a cig and I saw a guy park next to Ginger in his late 60's Corvette. I was ogling his car from my 2nd story balcony while he was ogling my car. He was far enough away that I couldn't hear him, but I distinctly saw him nod his head and mouth 'nice' as he walked away. A similar experience happened on my return trip but this time it was a Cadillac CTS.

Using the voice commands in the Navigation system to find a nearby restaurant when you don't know exactly what you are looking for is an exercise in frustration. Maybe if I had learned the voice commands beforehand it would have been easier, but by the time I got a list of restaurant types I had visually found a restaurant.

I'm surprised that there weren't more bug splats on the car. Oh don't get me wrong there are a LOT of bug splats, just not as many as I expected. That may have more to do with the time of year (mid spring as opposed to mid summer) though.

I really liked how the navigation system stayed locked in. Any time I pulled over for gas/munchies/drinks/bathroom it would be right there ready to continue the trip. I even had to backtrack several miles when I realized I had left my glasses at the last gas station and the nav system was right there giving me directions to turn around. It was easy to mute the directions for the trip back and then turn them back on when I was headed into the right direction. Even stopping for the night didn't take out the route.

The gas pedal seems to be more of a suggestion of the desired speed rather than directly being connected to the engine. During some construction slowdowns where I wasn't using the cruise control I would find myself lagging behind traffic or tail gating when I didn't intend to do so. I haven't noticed such a disconnect in my day to day driving.

Even at speeds exceeding 70 mph the car had enough 'get up and go' when required. Floor the gas pedal and I could dance up to 90 mph to pass particularly annoying drivers without breaking a sweat. It's no sports car, but it's enough.

The center console is roomy enough to keep my wallet, phone, a stack of ones (for tolls), and a baggie of quarters (for tolls), and still hold all the rick-a-rack that I normally keep there. The cubbie in front of the gear shifter is the perfect place for my sunglasses/glasses.

Having a hybrid is awesome when you're stuck at the site of an accident. There was a bad accident that required a helicopter life flight not 10 car lengths in front of me. I was stuck there for about an hour and was able to listen to my music and keep the car nice and chilly all that time without utilizing the ICE.

The trunk may be smaller than this car should have, but it had plenty of space. I didn't have to remove any of my crap back there and was able to easily fit my gun case, ammo box, big rolling suitcase and medium sized 'carry on' bag. Now if I had four people in the car, it might have proved a bit snug, but for just me it was perfect.

Overall Impression:

I couldn't be happier with how Ginger held up on this trip. She was roomy, comfortable, sleek, and fuel efficient. There are cars that could beat out any of those categories, but I don't think any car has the same wonderful combination of all those.

I'm planning two trips in Nytwing that should stretch his legs a bit ... Western PA in a week or two to see my niece off to the Navy and then later this year to Baton Rouge to get with a couple former coworkers. This review helps a lot to know what I might expect out of the car for mileage, performance and comfort especially.

The LA trip is definitely going to be mainly interstate and I tend to go +5 on cruise as well. I might just take it easy and see how numbers stack up.

We had wierd weather the last week or so ... one day I was using the cooled seats (and yes they get COLD), the next it was using the heat part. But they do work and work well.

I've tagged this thread for review before the big trip ... thanks again for the insights.

"Lengthy" ;) but very enjoyable review.

I feel the very same about the length of driving. Nothing aches, nothing cramps just enjoyable driving.

Longest.

Post.

Ever.

(Certainly a good, comprehensive review for anyone considering long trips!)

How long until someone replies and quotes the whole thing? :)

By reflex I hit the quote button then realized what I'd done ... scrapped and just typed! Sooooo, you almost had your wish!

It was a long post but CCalvinN put a lot of thought and effort into it. It was a good read. Thanks, CCalvinN.

That's pretty much my experience on my ~1200 mile trip a few months ago. Lots of 75 mph driving on I-5, some 70 mph, some 50-60 mph, some congested slowdowns, some local/suburban driving, spirited uphill mountain driving from Hemet to the top of CA-74 (about 5,000 feet up), steep downhill mountain driving with its own challenges (separately posted: http://fordfusionhyb...wnhill-driving)

- Total miles 1148, 26.95 gallons, 42.6 mpg.

Let me add my post after taking a 3500 miles to and from Colorado.

Yes this car is quiet on the highway :)

No this car does not excel at awesome MPG's when pushed over 8o MPH :shift:

This car does not stay in EV mode coming down the mountains

EV mode resets@999.9 miles

The nav system shows two different miles to destination ,gets closer as you near your destination.

The ABC coach 1st hashmark is @77 MPH, the 2nd is @66 MPH and the 3rd is @55 MPH give or take 1-2 MPH.

Lane keeper is a nice feature when your tired or not just helps you along.

Driver assist is kinda goofy goes off at random times I don't care for it.

I was told to keep both hands on the wheel several times when my hands were on the wheel.????

ECO cruise is very smooth

Satellite radio is awesome in the mountains :thumbsup:

This is my first CAR vacation in @ 30 years and it didn't disappoint.

Now to attempt to wash the thousands of bugs off my baby.

Total miles 3468.6, Total EV miles 1034.7 Time behind the wheel 70:43, Total gallons 83.59, Ave MPG 41.49

Edited by Bob Cooke

This car does not stay in EV mode coming down the mountains

Are you referring to when the HVB is full so the ICE comes on to burn off the excess energy?

I was told to keep both hands on the wheel several times when my hands were on the wheel.????

The car uses sensors to detect steering input. If it feels that there is no steering input it will display this message & chime. It's possible that your grip on the wheel is such that the car doesn't detect your hands.

Yes coming down the very steep inclines the ICE was running @ 4-5 K but still showing 60+MPG.

The way to slow down the ICE was to accellerate. I just assumed this was to keep the car from speeding up

I was in Low gear and had the hill assist on when going up the steep grades. The ICE could go upto 4K uphill

climbing some of those peaks. I turned off the drivers assist as I don't need it in town. Just wanted to try it out.

The car uses sensors to detect steering input. If it feels that there is no steering input it will display this message & chime. It's possible that your grip on the wheel is such that the car doesn't detect your hands.

We were on a very long straight road for 175 miles, so I wasn't turning the wheel much. That would explain it.

Edited by Bob Cooke

Yes coming down the very steep inclines the ICE was running @ 4-5 K but still showing 60+MPG.

The way to slow down the ICE was to accelerate. I just assumed this was to keep the car from speeding up

I was in Low gear and had the hill assist on when going up the steep grades. The ICE could go up to 4K uphill

climbing some of those peaks. I turned off the drivers assist as I don't need it in town. Just wanted to try it out.

In this mode there is no fuel being injected. If you step on the gas the car may start using gas. You can leave the car in D, putting it into L may cause fuel to be injected. The hill button on the shifter is for going down the mountains, not up them.

I pretty much had the hill assit button on the whole time in Colorado :) gotta love those mountains.

7% down grades hard to make the car not go too fast. low gear hill assist and on occassion the brakes.

Edited by Bob Cooke

7% down grades hard to make the car not go too fast. low gear hill assist and on occassion the brakes.

Last February I descended from about 3,000 feet down to almost sea level in a short distance on Hwy 74 into Palm Desert, California. After a short time the HVB was fully charged and therefore (I assumed) any use of the brakes would use friction brakes. The only way I found to control the speed without using the brakes was to set CC to the lowest speed I anticipated wanting and then going faster than that by pressing on the accelerator pedal. That used ICE engine braking, controlled by the accelerator pedal, If anyone has a better idea, I'd like to hear it.

On long, steep descents you should be able to use the hill button. This will spin the ICE for engine braking. Control the speed with the accelerator pedal, which won't cause gasoline to be used (remember that in this hybrid the "gas" pedal doesn't directly control the engine, just the speed). I haven't tried this with the cruise control -- presumably it would cause the set speed to be maintained without the overshooting it does on downgrades. Keep in mind that since engine braking is not regenerative it should probably be used unless the battery is at full charge and certainly not for normal driving as there would be a hit on fuel mileage.

The only really weird thing about the hill button (and our Camry has the same feature positioned on the shift lever instead of "L") is that pressing on the accelerator causes the engine to slow as it reduces the engine braking. It's disconcerting!

This also brings up the question about the use of "L" in the Fusion. There is no low gear! What is the point? Anyway, I've never used it.

L allows regeneration to start as you lift your foot off of the accelerator pedal if the HVB is not fully charged.

L allows regeneration to start as you lift your foot off of the accelerator pedal if the HVB is not fully charged.

This is true of the Energi, but not the hybrid. In the hybrid the ICE comes on if you shift to L, regardless of HVB charge.

This is true of the Energi, but not the hybrid. In the hybrid the ICE comes on if you shift to L, regardless of HVB charge.

So "L" probably increases fuel consumption (in the hybrid) and perhaps makes you feel good, but is it useful? Seems to me like it's just trying to mimic the feel of a conventional automatic transmission when it doesn't need to. Same thing applies to "creep" -- it's not necessary but there for familiarity. I have no comfort with that since I had been driving stick shifts for nearly 50 years.

So "L" probably increases fuel consumption (in the hybrid) and perhaps makes you feel good, but is it useful? Seems to me like it's just trying to mimic the feel of a conventional automatic transmission when it doesn't need to. Same thing applies to "creep" -- it's not necessary but there for familiarity. I have no comfort with that since I had been driving stick shifts for nearly 50 years.

I don't think that L has any practical benefit in the FFH other than using it to skip S0 of the warm up stages. In the Energi it engages near maximum regen braking so it is very useful.

Using "L" could also keep your brakes from overheating on a steep descent, in the case where you might be applying them hard enough to continuously engage the brake pads.

Here is a snapshot of my downhill descent from Pike's peak to the halfway point I think.

As you can see it is awesome MPG's :happy feet:

post-13880-0-47583400-1437086853_thumb.jpg

Here is a snapshot of my downhill descent from Pike's peak to the halfway point I think.

As you can see it is awesome MPG's :happy feet:

For sure! How did you control your downhill speed?

Coming down the mountain was in "L" with hill assist on and the occasional brakes,

the switchbacks are so tight that you nearly come to a complete stop to make them

so you never really get going too fast so many turns to make. Better pay attention to the road

and not your wife screeaming in your ear that your too close to the edge. :shift:

Funny thing is the park rangers tell you not you use your A/C going up the mountain

because you might overheat. In the FFH it's never an issue :thumbsup:

90 degrees @ the bottom 43 degrees @ the top.

Funny thing is the park rangers tell you not you use your A/C going up the mountain

because you might overheat. In the FFH it's never an issue :thumbsup:

90 degrees @ the bottom 43 degrees @ the top.

It's actually the opposite in the FFH, A/C keeps the ICE cooler.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/9689-road-trip-observations-with-torque-pro/page-2