mwr

Many gas pumps won't stay on without holding

I find that many gas pumps won't stay on using the "catch", but instead will shut off very quickly. I often have to keep squeezing the pump nandle and also hold it in (toward the car) all the way to keep gas flowing. Does this happen to anyone else?

Edited by mwr

Yes, this is my experience as well. I usually have to hold the nozzle in place or it shuts off right away. However, during my last fill-up I happened to use the opposite-side pump at Costco and noticed that it stayed in (kind of sideways) by itself with no problem.

Had the same issue with my '05 Mustang GT, and have the issue with the MKZh and the FFH. I all depends on how sensitive the nozzle is, the time of day, and the phase of the moon. ;)

Try hand filing for a few seconds and then immediately try the auto shutoff catch method.

I have never had this issue on the FFH. Stick it in pull the handle and engage. It fills till it reaches the "full" level.

Yes, only at certain gas stations. It's very annoying!!

There are a lot of different type gas nozzles available.

I was just in AZ and theirs are a simple unvented style vs the complicated CARB gas nozzles in CA.

The gas prices this weekend were almost a dollar @ gallon cheaper in AZ.

Pumped three times in the Seattle area and the gas pump stayed on without needing me to manually hold down the trigger.

Pumped three times in the Seattle area and the gas pump stayed on without needing me to manually hold down the trigger.

A lot of stations around here have disabled the trigger catch. There were instances where the pump did not disable the catch and gas overflowed all over the place. I have no problem holding the trigger - even in the dead of Winter. I can feel the nozzle is in correctly and properly angled in the filler tube. With the catch on and basically hands off you really can't tell if the nozzle slips at all.

But then again I learned to pump gas at my Grandpa's station in what is now downtown Rochester, NY back in the '50s. Didn't have the trigger catch then.

Edited by Cobra348

Haven't had the issue on the Fusion yet but it was very much a problem on the 05 Mustang GT, I found that if a particular nozzle wanted to kick of if you put it in "upside down" that it would then work fine.

Haven't had the issue on the Fusion yet but it was very much a problem on the 05 Mustang GT, I found that if a particular nozzle wanted to kick of if you put it in "upside down" that it would then work fine.

I have less trouble filling my 05 Mustang GT these days so maybe the pumps have changed. I do use the upside down trick when it is an issue.

I've not had any issue with mine at any station here in Northern Virginia, Maryland, PA, or Ohio where I usually drive. Maybe it's a location issue or brand name issue. I always use Sunocco stations.