hybridbear

Recall 15S14 - Steering Gear Motor Bolt Corrosion

Hmmm. Is anyone else reminded of the killer airbag recall snafu? The powers that be insisted all vehicles that have the bad airbags in them be fixed, while the airbag company (can't think of the name) refused and only wanted to replace them in high humidity states. Seems the same here. What will happen if either our FFH or MKZh eventually ends up in one of the recall listed states? Will the VIN flag to Ford that it is now registered in a state subject to the recall? I think Ford better rethink how they are doing this recall. :lurk:

Edited by SteveB_TX

Hmm, I wonder... nah too simple, probably not. Not showing as a recall yet, FSAN 14B03

"This recall applies to the affected vehicles originally sold in, or currently registered in the following states:"

Both of mine are registered in VA (thus would not qualify) but were both purchased at different dealers that were both in MD (is on the list, thus they should qualify) -- but neither car shows the recall in the Ford owner account. I guess I'll keep checking now and then.

I had a chance to compare the factory bolts (left) to the recall replacement bolts (right)

Ijm2sUo.jpg

3 bolts that hold the motor to the steering rack are replaced and a special anti corrosion coating is applied to all the other bolts.

The replacement bolts are steel. The original bolts are not.

I don't know what the original bolts are made out of, but they are extremely lightweight. 3 of the original bolts weigh less than 1 replacement bolt. Seems Ford cheaped out on these bolts and I'm not surprised that they break, leading to this recall.

Only speculation on my part, but the motivation could have been for weight savings as opposed to cost. Manufactures have been looking for weight savings everywhere.

Is this the same recall? I called my local repair shop and they said to bring it in . Im in Alabama, no salt on the roads here. I found it ONLY when I did a vehicle check from sync.

• VIN: 3FA6P0LU8ER206345

FAS Title: EPS MOTOR BOLTS - REGIONAL

Field Service Action Number: 15R01

Yes I believe it is the same, was originally announced as 15S14 for those cars in the salt states, then expanded as 15R01 to cover cars in other states for inspection of the components and replacement if needed.

So..just a thought...you relocate from Florida to Michigan..would your car need this recall? Would it be covered?

I would think Ford has extended this steering bolt FSA to just about all Fusions which are affected by now since it appears for mine here in AZ.

You can click on this link below and enter your VIN (no sign-in required) and it will show the FSAs and recalls on that vehicle.

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/RecallsPage&gnav=footer-owners

This is what that page shows for my FFH.

post-12539-0-11293700-1454964034_thumb.png

snapback.png

... Would it be covered?

The PDF attached to this post shows the complete details about the 15R01 FSA/Recall.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/9347-recalls-csps-gsms-and-outstanding-field-service-actions-fsas/?do=findComment&comment=98157

Edited by Hybrider