Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

What speed provides the best mpg on a flat road?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:55 AM

Here's a "Fuel Map" of the efficiency of two Prii ICEs measured in "Brake Specific Fuel Consumption", BSFC. http://ecomodder.com...prius_bsfc1.jpg

The chart is for the last two Prii ICEs. They try to only operate on the heavy solid lines. You can see for the 2FR-FXE, the current Prius ICE, the engine operates within a region where the BSFC is a very low 220 grams/ Kw-hr from about 1100 to over 3000 rpm. The Ford graphs would have similar shapes but have different values. If you watch your RPM while driving, it will usually be within this range. The lowest BSFC for the 2FR-FXE would probably be about 2100 RPM from the chart and be somewhat less than 220. That's where you would operated if you used it solely as a constant speed generator. As the above poster pointed out Chevy has found that's inefficient and the latest Volt has even more torque directed to the wheels by gears. By variable valve timing and other computer controlled ICE operation manipulation the lowest BSFC areas are over a fairly broad RPM range. This is the heart of all Atkinson ICE eCVT hybrid designs. The Eco Boosts do not have these low BSFCs. They are designed to produce a lot of power per weight and displacement.

So in order to theoretically maximize your fuel efficiency in that 2FR, the way you would drive would be to run the ICE at 2000rpm producing about 100Nm of torque in the highest ratio that the CVT will allow.  Do this until the battery is full, then take your foot off the gas pedal completely until the battery is so low that the ICE comes on again, then repeat.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Hybrider

Hybrider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 407 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Awesome FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:57 AM

...  That's an extra 20 minutes of driving and you will have saved 68 cents worth of fuel (assuming $2.50/gallon)  Is 20 minutes of your time really not worth 68 cents?

For me, I enjoy driving my FFH, and listening to the tunes on the great stereo in it, so much that I would rather spend those 15-20 minutes over just about anything else these days.

• GrySql likes this

2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE Ingot Silver (Appearance Package)

Ordered: 01/07/2014 | VIN assigned: 01/14/2014 | Window Sticker: 02/05/2014 | Build Date: 02/12/2014 | Arrived at Dealer: 02/25/2014 | Delivered: 02/27/2014

#23 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,852 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:57 PM

You can't "fill" the HVBs on the Ford and Prius hybrids with NiMH batteries except by regenerative braking. They usually stop generator charging at about 50% SOC once warm. At slower speeds, they cycle EV between about 30 to 50% SOC and above the max EV speed they approach 50 % SOC. There's not much you can do manually with them except "milk" EV a little when the SOC is high. They do not have EV+ but I started doing that in my 2010 FFH early on by maximizing EV as I approached home since the ICE was going to run a while when I started it up again. They will charge above 50% while the ICE warms up but you can't put as fast a charge in when the HVB SOC is higher. It's not usually worth the effort to massage it unless the SOC is pretty high.

#24 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:00 AM

5 MPH is the best speed to get the maximum MPG, I think that's what the average speed of two feet one after the other does. Just ask Forest Gump.

When I had the 2010, highway driving always did very well, one trip netted me 65 MPG with me doing about 62 MPH the entire trip, which was 85 miles. It was all interstate driving.  Anywhere between 60 and 65 seems to be the sweet spot for the 10-12 FFH. The ICE in it is very efficient at highway speeds, as can be seen in the 13+ Fusion with the nearly same 2.5. Only difference is the cycle, Atkinson in the FFH, Otto(?) in the non hybrid. They get in the 30's on the Interstate. 

If Ford would put the 2.5 in the Titanium, it would be an awesome car for those who drive a lot of highway and are not the Green Wackos like us FFH'rs. LOL

• machoman1337 likes this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#25 OFFLINE   machoman1337

machoman1337

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE Ice Storm/Lexus LS430

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:51 PM

I'm heading to Seattle for the long weekend. Most of the drive will be on a flat freeway (I-5).

The last time I did it I was impatient and floored it to 120 km/h for the most part (I can actually stay in EV for a minute at that speed) and got only 6-6.1 L/100 km or about 39 mpg.

This time I will be more patient and set it to the speed limit (65-70 mph). Let's see what my mileage is after incorporating everyone's helpful advice!

• Hybrider likes this

My precious: 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE Ice Storm - Luxury Package (Dune), Navigation, Tech Package, Active Park Assist, Moonroof (ugh), 18" premium painted luxury wheels. Built in July 2012, bought CPO (former demonstrator) in May 2014. 6.3L/100 km lifetime fuel economy

Current temporary ride: 2003 Lexus LS430 w/navigation and parking sensors. Bought in December 2002, selling when I graduate

#26 OFFLINE   machoman1337

machoman1337

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE Ice Storm/Lexus LS430

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:41 AM

Just drove 192.9 km (120 miles) to Everett, WA where I'm about to fill up after getting the yellow low fuel warning. My remaining range is 18 km... good thing I didn't attempt to push on to Seattle or else I'd be stranded on I-5.

My fuel economy for this trip was 5.9 L/100 km (40 mpg), slightly better than the 6 I got last time. I took everyone's advice and set the eco cruise control (sadly I don't have the adaptive cruise) to the posted speed limit at all times. It did make a difference.

Btw, more than half the paving on I-5 from the US/Canadian border to Everett leaves a lot to be desired. The ride was VERY shaky over that stretch and I was afraid that something would come loose inside my FFH and give me non stop rattling (didn't happen thank god). The last 50 km was much better and I got the super smooth ride I'm used to back on my local roads.

My precious: 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE Ice Storm - Luxury Package (Dune), Navigation, Tech Package, Active Park Assist, Moonroof (ugh), 18" premium painted luxury wheels. Built in July 2012, bought CPO (former demonstrator) in May 2014. 6.3L/100 km lifetime fuel economy

Current temporary ride: 2003 Lexus LS430 w/navigation and parking sensors. Bought in December 2002, selling when I graduate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·