Sign in to follow this  
Drag Limited

What speed provides the best mpg on a flat road?

Since the hybrid doesn't have the problem of the engine operating outside of it's optimum BSFC zone due to gearing, the best mpg will be obtained at the slowest speed, so 0.01mph.

Is that to say that efficiency trends downward as speed increases from 0? Is there truly no bell curve...?

In a test in 2008, a 2010 FFH was driven by expert hypermilers over 1400 miles on a single 17.5 gallon tank of gas. The average speed was 22 mph and the mpg was 81. There is no "bell curve" of mpg for most eCVT hybrids.

At a practical speed, the 2010 FFH gets 50 mpg at 50 mph at 85º F so you could drive 17 hours and 850 miles and have 1/2 a gallon reserve. There would need to be some facilities in the car.

Edited by lolder

Or, just...

Drive at the posted speed limit (end quote).

Seems to be a bit more efficient that way. Oh, and stay in the right lane. ;)

Is 20 minutes of your time really not worth 68 cents?

That's a good point, but I was reading this thread to be about what's theoretically possible. This is something I've often wondered... A perfectly straight road that stretches on forever. No wind, no other traffic, etc... At what constant speed can this car travel and cover the greatest distance? Theoretically speaking. My guess it's somewhere in the 45 mph range.

I'm not an engineer, but I think that the engine could be a lot more fuel efficient if it runs at a constant rpm when it needs to run, something like a stationary generator. It could be tuned to run at peak efficiency in a narrow rpm range. Maybe even the 1 litre ecoboost could do the job.

But I'm sure It would be objectionable to drivers when they hear the engine running at high rpms especially at a red light on a cold day with the heater on...

Here's a "Fuel Map" of the efficiency of two Prii ICEs measured in "Brake Specific Fuel Consumption", BSFC. http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/File:Toyota_2zrfxe_1.8l_prius_bsfc1.jpg

The chart is for the last two Prii ICEs. They try to only operate on the heavy solid lines. You can see for the 2FR-FXE, the current Prius ICE, the engine operates within a region where the BSFC is a very low 220 grams/ Kw-hr from about 1100 to over 3000 rpm. The Ford graphs would have similar shapes but have different values. If you watch your RPM while driving, it will usually be within this range. The lowest BSFC for the 2FR-FXE would probably be about 2100 RPM from the chart and be somewhat less than 220. That's where you would operated if you used it solely as a constant speed generator. As the above poster pointed out Chevy has found that's inefficient and the latest Volt has even more torque directed to the wheels by gears. By variable valve timing and other computer controlled ICE operation manipulation the lowest BSFC areas are over a fairly broad RPM range. This is the heart of all Atkinson ICE eCVT hybrid designs. The Eco Boosts do not have these low BSFCs. They are designed to produce a lot of power per weight and displacement.

Edited by lolder

I'm not an engineer, but I think that the engine could be a lot more fuel efficient if it runs at a constant rpm when it needs to run, something like a stationary generator. It could be tuned to run at peak efficiency in a narrow rpm range. Maybe even the 1 litre ecoboost could do the job.

But I'm sure It would be objectionable to drivers when they hear the engine running at high rpms especially at a red light on a cold day with the heater on...

Even more annoying would be the low speeds likely encountered when climbing a mountain or similar long grade.

... That's an extra 20 minutes of driving and you will have saved 68 cents worth of fuel (assuming $2.50/gallon) Is 20 minutes of your time really not worth 68 cents?

For me, I enjoy driving my FFH, and listening to the tunes on the great stereo in it, so much that I would rather spend those 15-20 minutes over just about anything else these days.

You can't "fill" the HVBs on the Ford and Prius hybrids with NiMH batteries except by regenerative braking. They usually stop generator charging at about 50% SOC once warm. At slower speeds, they cycle EV between about 30 to 50% SOC and above the max EV speed they approach 50 % SOC. There's not much you can do manually with them except "milk" EV a little when the SOC is high. They do not have EV+ but I started doing that in my 2010 FFH early on by maximizing EV as I approached home since the ICE was going to run a while when I started it up again. They will charge above 50% while the ICE warms up but you can't put as fast a charge in when the HVB SOC is higher. It's not usually worth the effort to massage it unless the SOC is pretty high.

5 MPH is the best speed to get the maximum MPG, I think that's what the average speed of two feet one after the other does. Just ask Forest Gump.

When I had the 2010, highway driving always did very well, one trip netted me 65 MPG with me doing about 62 MPH the entire trip, which was 85 miles. It was all interstate driving. Anywhere between 60 and 65 seems to be the sweet spot for the 10-12 FFH. The ICE in it is very efficient at highway speeds, as can be seen in the 13+ Fusion with the nearly same 2.5. Only difference is the cycle, Atkinson in the FFH, Otto(?) in the non hybrid. They get in the 30's on the Interstate.

If Ford would put the 2.5 in the Titanium, it would be an awesome car for those who drive a lot of highway and are not the Green Wackos like us FFH'rs. LOL