milleron

Automatic power windows perpetually forgetting how to function

Ever since my 2013 FFH was new, there's been a problem, widely reported, with the auto-up windows forgetting how to work. I learned on this forum that manually running them through an entire up-and-down cycle would restore the automatic function.

Well, at exactly two years of age, this problem continues and seems to be worse than ever. In fact, if I haven't used the windows for a day or longer, they rarely go up or down automatically without my "reprogramming" them. I've never seen this glitch, or even heard of it, in any automobile other than the FFH.

So, my question is: has anyone found a way to remedy this silly problem permanently or at least make it occur less often than daily?

Edited by milleron

My 2013 FFH has been "reprogrammed" by the dealer no less that 6 times. They will work for a few days and stop working. The biggest issue I have with them is the one-touch up and down. I hold the window switch up and the window goes up...and then automatically goes down. Ford can't fix this.

My 2013 FFH has been "reprogrammed" by the dealer no less that 6 times. They will work for a few days and stop working. The biggest issue I have with them is the one-touch up and down. I hold the window switch up and the window goes up...and then automatically goes down. Ford can't fix this.

Well I was going to say "hey there's a TSB for that" and point you to the below thread with the TSB attached, but see that you've had it done twice and still have issues. Well maybe the OP can give it a try, as from what I read from others they saw an improvement.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/7849-tsb-13-10-4-loss-of-one-touch-up-power-window-operation/?p=81134

I had the window problem every time I got the Battery Saver message. This would result to a trip to the dealer and a replacement 12 volt battery. The low battery was causing the loss of memory which also switched the audio from usb music to the am radio. Horrible. It took no time to reset the radio and windows but was very irritating.

Well I was going to say "hey there's a TSB for that" and point you to the below thread with the TSB attached, but see that you've had it done twice and still have issues. Well maybe the OP can give it a try, as from what I read from others they saw an improvement.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/7849-tsb-13-10-4-loss-of-one-touch-up-power-window-operation/?p=81134

I went through the work orders....that TSB has been applied 6 times. I've just decided to live with it. The TSB has been applied once to the MKZh and there have been no further issues.

I never had that TSB applied to the best of my recollection. I'll sure give it a shot.

Thanks, Jeff

Edited by milleron

I went through the work orders....that TSB has been applied 6 times. I've just decided to live with it. The TSB has been applied once to the MKZh and there have been no further issues.

The TSB calls for parts replacement under certain circumstances, such as when the issue affects a rear window. Have you had the parts replaced?

Ever since my 2013 FFH was new, there's been a problem, widely reported, with the auto-up windows forgetting how to work. I learned on this forum that manually running them through an entire up-and-down cycle would restore the automatic function.

Well, at exactly two years of age, this problem continues and seems to be worse than ever. In fact, if I haven't used the windows for a day or longer, they rarely go up or down automatically without my "reprogramming" them. I've never seen this glitch, or even heard of it, in any automobile other than the FFH.

So, my question is: has anyone found a way to remedy this silly problem permanently or at least make it occur less seldom than daily?

Do you have an appointment set up to get your windows looked at, milleron? Please let me know, along with your mileage, and I can look into some options.

If you decide to have this looked into again, please let me know. I can check out some additional assistance.

Meagan

Do you have an appointment set up to get your windows looked at, milleron? Please let me know, along with your mileage, and I can look into some options.

If you decide to have this looked into again, please let me know. I can check out some additional assistance.

Meagan

I'm not going to worry about it. The FFH will soon be history. When I ordered a new Escape today I talked to the hybrid tech and he said that there isn't anything else to do.

Meagan

I'll drop my to ask my service manager if they have any record of having allied this patch. If they haven't, then we'll set up the appointment to do it.

Thanks, Meagan

Okay, gotta be honest here. The first time the Ford dealership attempted to fix the windows (several months ago), the tech reported that the programming in the car had already been accomplished. This I knew to be false since I am the original owner of the car and I know the windows had never been reprogrammed. I am guessing here that the computer they were using didn't have the latest and greatest software update that it should have had. This second time 'round they were able to reprogram both driver and passenger door modules successfully. Keeping fingers crossed that the TSB fix is permanent. :)

Edited by SteveB_TX

I'm not going to worry about it. The FFH will soon be history. When I ordered a new Escape today I talked to the hybrid tech and he said that there isn't anything else to do.

Did you ever have the parts replaced per the TSB? I don't understand why you won't answer that question. It's been asked of you probably a half dozen times and yet you ignore it.

I'll be around if you change your mind.

I'll drop my to ask my service manager if they have any record of having allied this patch. If they haven't, then we'll set up the appointment to do it.

Thanks, Meagan

Sounds like a plan! Once you have it set up, please let me know, along with your mileage. :)

Meagan

It will be a loss for this forum if you leave it. :cry:

It will be a loss for this forum if you leave it. :cry:

Never fear, he still has the MKZh! :)

Having a problem with the automatic closing of both the front windows. Pull and release the switch to close the windows, the windows close and then immediately reopen after getting to the closed position. This is repeatable, happens every time. Scheduled to see the dealer on Tuesday. Any insights?

Having a problem with the automatic closing of both the front windows. Pull and release the switch to close the windows, the windows close and then immediately reopen after getting to the closed position. This is repeatable, happens every time. Scheduled to see the dealer on Tuesday. Any insights?

They need to be re-synchronized.

1. Push and hold the down switch for 3 seconds after the window stops moving.

2. Push and hold the up switch for 3 seconds after the window stops moving.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2.

If that doesn't work, then the dealer will have to find and fix the problem.

The advice murphy gave will very likely take care of it.

If your Fusion is a 2017, then I don't think that the TSB would work for you. I believe that the problem it addresses was corrected in manufacturing after that Bulletin was published, so I'm surprised that you're having this problem. Because you are, I'd be just a little suspicious of a bad controller that needs replacing — i.e., I have had cars with auto-up windows for a quarter century and not one of them before the Fusion ever needed to be re-synchronized, so I'd consider a hardware problem as well as one in software.

Nevertheless, applying the TSB was what gave my car a permanent fix for this recurring glitch. Just in case the correct method outlined above by Mr. Murphy doesn't cure it, and you get desperate, that Bulletin might (though I doubt it) still be pertinent. Should it come to that, you might inquire at your dealership about TSB 13-10-4

I have the same problem on my 2017 FFH Platinum with the passenger window. Driver window won't auto-up. Unsettling to not be able to make your window close 50 miles from home.

I have performed murphy's exercise a few times. I think I just need murphy. I keep duct tape and some plastic in the trunk to cover the window (be prepared!)

Edited by stlouisgeorge

I have the same problem on my 2017 FFH Platinum with the passenger window. Driver window won't auto-up. Unsettling to not be able to make your window close 50 miles from home.I have performed murphy's exercise a few times. I think I just need murphy. I keep duct tape and some plastic in the trunk to cover the window (be prepared!)

The reset didn't work for me either. I'm also concerned the windows might quit working. I'll let you know the dealer resolution.

You might try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a minute.

They need to be re-synchronized.

1. Push and hold the down switch for 3 seconds after the window stops moving.

2. Push and hold the up switch for 3 seconds after the window stops moving.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2.

If that doesn't work, then the dealer will have to find and fix the problem.

Went to the dealer this am. Talked about the problem and the reset. The service manager held the switch for 15 seconds (said 3 seconds wasn't long enough) and the windows now work correctly. His parting comment was the windows work for now but the problem may reappear, if it does bring the car back and we'll go from there.