Sign in to follow this  
acdii

Refrigerator issues

Just a Rant at LG. We bought one of their very expensive french door, bottom freezer refrigerators back in July, it got delivered in August, and it died on the 14th of this month. A tech was out, two days after we called, said it was a bad compressor, but none were available for a week, so he was out again last Wednesday, spent 2 hours retroubleshooting the compressor, wasting my wife's time as she had to take time off work for this, finally replaced the compressor, and it started to cool down, then he left, my wife went back to work, and we came home later at our usual time to a still warm fridge that now reeks like a burnt motor. We called them back, and they did not return our call until this morning, in the meantime my wife called LG, who said they would replace it, they just needed our receipt, so I uploaded pictures of the purchase order and receipt, and my wife called back later to find out, oh, no we aren't replacing it, we need to send a tech back out to diagnose it again.

I then remembered I have an extended warranty from HD on it, so I looked into it and found it starts from day 1, and if they cant repair it they replace it, so I called them, and they need to send a tech out to look at it, and guess who it is, same company that was out the first two times. So maybe, just maybe all it takes now is for them to say, yeah we were out twice and replaced the compressor. All I know is what a PITA this has become as we have not had a working fridge now for going on 3 weeks. $2100 fridge that lasted 8 months. The stink in it now is horrible. If anyone stalled a drill and smoked it, that is what it smells like now.

So sorry to hear that. Appliances aren't built like they used to be. We have older appliances in our apartment that run great. They consume more electricity, but we have no maintenance issues. My parents have found the same thing. They have a few newer appliances which

have given them nothing but problems, the other appliances that have been around for over 30 years work great!

Yep, the one we had that they took away worked perfect, but was an energy hog, our electric has gone down 15% since it was replaced, but it was at least 20 years old. The one that we got when we moved here back in 01 freezes everything, so it does not work well either, but for now at least we have some frozen stuff.

Well, we got new appliances last year, except the refrig because the reviews were pretty bad for most models with an ice maker.

Our 4 month old KitchenAid microwave turntable quit, so called for warranty repair.

When the guy was out to fix the microwave I asked him about what new refrigerator I should buy.

He thought for a minute and pointed at our old 2003 Whirlpool 26cf Refrig and said "that one, don't change".

Yeah, new isn't always better.

BTW, I checked and ours doesn't use any more electricity than a new one of the same size.

Especially now, we're on a diet and the door doesn't get opened as much...

smiley-eatdrink023.gif

That sure sucks. We also got a very similar one from Samsung which replaced an 6 year old Whirlpool. The Whirlpool one seemed to have lost it's cooling power and we wanted a bigger one anyway. We got a very good deal on it at HD with extended warranty and so far so good.

Hopefully your refrigerator issue gets resolved soon acdii.

Edited by corncobs

4 more hours, still not repaired, week #5 without a working refrigerator. Supposedly LG is to replace it, waiting on them to call to arrange it.

Freaking LG Refrigerators. Sorry to hear; you are not the only one with these crap compressors that seem to have a life of 2 years max. I think recently LG went with a different compressor manufacture... could be wrong. Good luck and let us know how it worked out.

Well supposed to be out tomorrow with more new parts, so we shall see.

4 more hours, still not repaired, week #5 without a working refrigerator. Supposedly LG is to replace it, waiting on them to call to arrange it.

Check your home owners insurance. Some policies will cover the cost of lost food items.

Check your home owners insurance. Some policies will cover the cost of lost food items.

Small claims like that may be a bad idea. These types of claims can result in your home insurance rates being raised or your policy being cancelled. Even worse, the insurance companies share information about small/frivolous claims which can make it difficult to find another company willing to issue you a policy. Small claims cause more problems than they are worth. Save your home owners policy for serious problems such as fire, storm and similar catastrophes.

Edited by Texasota

A few years ago I had an almost new GE freezer quit on me and it was replaced under warranty. The warranty also got me a check for like $300 for the spoiled food. That was an American company though. Maybe LG has something similar? Might be worth checking into.

Still having issues with LG, tech has been out again, did not fix it, spent hours troubleshooting with LG, found several leaks he could not fix and LG is still not replacing it. The guy is supposed to be out tomorrow to do soething to send to LG, but I can't even report it to BBB because they have only 2 letters in their name and need 3 to file a complaint. The HD warranty wont cover it while still under factory warranty.

One month later, still no refrigerator. LG finally agreed to refund me the purchase price, however, it is up to me to dispose of the unit. They dont want it back. :banghead: :censored: :rant2: :rant: :angry22:

Anyone want a nice nearly new really large stainless steel....thing?

Maybe you can give ComEd a call don't they pay $20 for the refrigerator and take it away. Maybe just for really old ones.

Anyone want a nice nearly new really large stainless steel....thing?

How about Yard Art? Lay it on its side, add four wheels/tires and a front engine hood and it might look like a s/s Flex. Sorta...

_________

|________|___

|-O------------O-|

From what I understand, it must be a working unit for them to take it. Yard art.... I had actually given it some though last week! LOL