Sign in to follow this  
Trout74

New owner, FFH opened my eyes!

Howdy Trout74, and welcome to the forum! Colder weather, and the subsequent use of the heater, are what drive down your MPG. The ICE (ironic name to be sure) or engine provides the heat for the interior, just as any "normal" car. The colder the outside temp, the longer the ICE must run to keep up with the need for heat. As the outside ambient temperature rises, the need for heat is lessened, therefore the need for the ICE to run is lessened, reducing fuel usage and increasing MPG. Whew! I think that covers it. :) (Usual Disclaimer Applies) ;)

Edit: Okay, Calvin beat me to it with a novel. Mine is shorter. Wait. What? Never mind! ;) Oh, and good point about the HVB being less efficient the colder the ambient temp!

Edited by SteveB_TX

Here is a link from fueleconomy.gov that explains the reasons (and there are many) why MPG takes a big hit in the winter. It also addresses some hybrid specific issues:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/coldweather.shtml

Edited by Texasota

The one thing that wasn't mentioned is ICE temps. The hotter the engine is, the more efficient it becomes. When you can get up to and sustain 200*+ in the ICE, it will use less fuel, this is a reason why cold weather has such a large impact, along with winter blend fuel which is not as good as summer blend. It uses aromatics that in the summer evaporate much too quickly and is used in the winter to replace slower additives. Why they do this, who knows.

When the combustion chambers are at their peak temps, less fuel is needed to get a clean burn, so it runs more efficient. In really hot weather the decrease is mostly due to AC use, as I have frequently seen 47 in 100* temps with just the roof vented and the back windows down to provide airflow and not use AC. In cold weather, the use of grill covers(which is a hot debate now regarding trans temps) helps to keep the heat in, but getting to that magic temp of 200+ it not easy even with covers, unless you drive a lot of highway miles and use little heat inside. The most I usually saw was 186*, with it peaking over 200 only when I came to a stop and the ICE heat soaked for a few moments, but quickly drops once the ICE runs again.

Whats funny is the last 4000 miles I drove the car, I didn't care what the gas mileage was, I just set the cruise and drove it. As long as it fell somewhere in my expected range I was fine with it, and it did, no complaints.

The average driver should expect 38-43 MPG in this car, as long as you are in between that range, you are doing fine. Then there are those like a few members here who have an exceptional drive everyday and can get well above 43 MPG all the time. They are not typical to the FFH, they are the exception! 38-43 that should be your goal, go above and you are doing great!