McGarrett50

Towing with an SMI Duo "Stay-in-Play" supplemental braking system

Tim, I'm not sure what you are trying to power with the 12 volt line. Since the car is towed in the OFF position I have not need to keep the 12 volt battery charged. Have towed it 3-4 days in a row without disconnecting and never had a battery problem, so no need for 12 volts there. We use a Blue Ox Patriot brake system, it requires a 12 volt supply to operate. I put a car jump starter with a battery that I put on the passenger floor and plug the Patriot into that for power.

Gary

We use this one http://www.amazon.com/PowerStation-PSX-3-Jumpstarter-Compressor-Outlet/product-reviews/B00GNG9N30, it's charged from 120 volt plug. We have used it 3-4 days of towing without having to charge it up. We got it a lot cheaper at Costco. As a side note, right or wrong, I have a different philosophy for how to set the Patriot up. My thought is that the only time I want the car brakes to come on is when I am in a panic stop situation. With the size of brakes in these motorhomes I do not see the need to wear out the car brakes during a normal stop. Also in my case with the engine brake on the diesel motor I usually only use the brakes the last 10 mph or so. So proportional breaking was not important to me when we bought the Patriot.

Gary

Edited by garymkrieg

Tim, I would not attach anything to the car's 12 volt system for any reason. That battery is very small and does not have a lot of capacity. Your brake system could easily discharge that battery depending on how ofter the brake system engages. Since you bought a proportional system my assumption is that the system will engage at also every stop. You will kill the battery if that is the case.

Gary

I don't think that it is proportional. For me as I said earlier proportional is of no value to me because when I want the brake system to engage I'm in a panic and I need everything it can give.

If you want communicate off-forum here is my email address: garymkrieg@yahoo.com

Gary