md13ffhguy

Highway driving, great MPG

I'm not opposed to "keeping up with the flow of traffic" on single-lane roads, within reason, of course. This is, unless you're expecting me to go more than 5-10 MPH over the posted limit. I feel like I'm a safer driver many times over since purchasing this car.

That is funny, Truckers do it all time. If you are following a trucker how are you impeding traffic? I guess some people just like to complain. :)

Paul

I found a clip of Paul in the fast food line, drafting behind the guy in front.

To reiterate what Paul is saying, you can draft SAFELY behind a semi. Drafting has become a misconception to many, meaning they think drafting a semi has you 2 feet off the back end, which is really not the case. Follow a 2 second rule, and you are still drafting off a semi, especially a low loaded flatbed. The ACC setting at 1 bar puts you right at the safe distance, and works perfectly for "drafting". Y'all think we are out there driving Nascar style when we talk about drafting.

When I took the T to Florida I drafted several different vehicles in this manner, the best I found are motorhomes dragging a car. They really cut down on the head wind and smooth the airflow. Trick to follow when following a van, if you feel the car being buffeted, back off until is stops and maintain that distance, you are in the trucks slipstream at that point and in the safe zone, if you get closer you can get inside the buffet zone, but now you are in the kill zone, where you are not safe, and the driver cannot see you.

Just remember trucks cant stop as quick as the car(and the FFH can stop extremely quick in a panic stop, I know, I tried it the other day, hole S**T did it stop fast!), so as long as you are paying attention, and brake when you see the truck hit theirs, even if the trucker panic stops you still have enough room to stop safely provided you follow the correct distance of 2 seconds. Driving up another cars backside is more dangerous than drafting a semi, if a car stops fast, you will have a much higher chance of hitting them than hitting a truck.

Post #20 advocates drafting 50-100 feet behind a semi at 65 MPH (a little faster downhill and a little slower uphill). At 65 MPH you are traveling at 95.3 feet/second. That does not allow for much reaction time when 50 feet behind the semi.

I recently sat in a traffic jam on I-75 (south Florida) for an hour and 45 minutes because of a traffic accident but I don't know what the cause of the accident was. Multiple people died.

Edited by Texasota

So you are saying this is too close? It is more than a full semi length behind.

11149792_890579637650838_769993891017790

@70, and with the apparent need for wipers on, I'd say that looks a little close... especially while taking pictures...

Hard to know what your distance is in the photos but it looks like it is significanty greater than the 50 feet (especially in the first photo) that was advocated earlier. After some googling the average semi length appears to be around 70-80 feet.

But, at your speed of 70 MPH you are traveling 102.6 feet/second and with a 50 foot separation distance you would be practicing a .49 second rule instead of a 2 second rule.

Edited by Texasota

Here is ACC at 1 bar.

According to the manual, at a set speed of 62 MPH, 1 bar equals a 1 second gap. 2 bars is 1.4 seconds and 3 bars is 1.8 seconds. Personally, I choose either 3 or 4 at highway speeds, and reserve 1 and 2 for much slower situations.

It is one and a half semi lengths at 2 bars. It is much farther back than majority of people I see driving out there, I have one picture with one person no further back than a half car length going by me at 80MPH. The ACC will slow you down quickly too as it happened to me this trip when a car cut me off just as traffic slowed down fast. Unless the truck in front hits a brick wall, I would be able to stop safely at that distance.

Then again old farts have slow reaction times, so the further they are behind the better. makes it easier for the young hotshots to cut them off. :)

BTW, if you check out this picture, you will see what I saw the most, people driving way too close behind others. two in front left lane, and one right behind them, they were going at least 80+, so my driving distance is perfectly safe, and you can see I am 2 below the limit.

11150249_891877807521021_506626447471683

my driving distance is perfectly safe, and you can see I am 2 below the limit.

Except for the part about taking a picture of your dash at highway speed, hahahaha